Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   more new machine advice :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-new-machine-advice-t247520.html)

stillclock 05-28-2014 07:27 AM

more new machine advice :)

i think it's time to consider a machine with a larger harp.

i really don't want a computer inside the machine at all. no circuit boards, no nothing. just a straight stitch mechanical machine with a large harp for free motion quilting.

i don't want stitch or speed regulation or any bells and whistles, honestly. i'm not even particularly interested in ever mounting it on a frame, but i think an extension table is requisite.

i have been looking at juki mid-arm machines, but thought i'd throw it out here and see if you have any input.

thanks for your advice!

aileen

stillclock 05-28-2014 07:30 AM

p.s.: would also love to hear about buying used machines. i don't have an attachment to the brand new smell of anything, so if you have words of wisdom on that i'd love to hear it.

i'm in love with my very basic janome and can't thank it enough for all its service. but struggling with quilts in that harp space is really trying, and as my skills improve i am finding the limited range of really frustrating.

aileen

katier825 05-28-2014 08:42 AM

I absolutely LOVE my Juki TL2010. Bought it sight unseen based on reviews I had read and the recommendation of the guy that repairs my older machines. It's been perfect right from the box. I have never had to touch the tension. Internal parts are metal, not plastic. It's got a great amount of harp space because the arm across the top is narrower too. almost forgot, she's not picky about thread either! just about anything I've tried works great without any fiddling!

Here's a blog post about the machine. When she commented on the lighting, I recommended some lights to her for it that I found thanks to a post on one of the Craftsy classes I took.

http://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/2014/2...new-juki-2010q

http://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/2014/3...d-win-some-too

lfty298 05-28-2014 09:08 AM

hi aileen -
i assume you are looking at the juki 9” harp. i considered the brother/babylock (i hear they are the same), janome and juki. i finally purchased the babylock jane - but they were all similar - 9” throat, high speed (1500 spm), straight stitch only, and they all seemed to include a small selection of feet including fmq, ¼” and walking foot. i think they all had extension tables, a knee lift, automatic thread cutters, and a needle down function. if i remember, the janome did not have dropped feed dogs - but you could buy an overpriced cover plate. from what i’ve read, most folks are happy with their purchase, regardless of manufacturer. the biggest decisions seemed to be dealer vs internet. there can be a significant price difference.
the babylock jane has been a good choice for me. i like that i can adjust the feed dog height, adjust the thread tension, and adjust the pressure foot pressure. i even figured out how to use the needle threader - but not the pin feed. i find the thread cutter and needle down features useful - though at first i didn’t think i would use them. i rarely use the knee lift because i can’t use it with the extension table (machine is on top of desk).
the babylock makes a nice stitch, is easy to maintain, doesn’t vibrate - even at high speed and is relatively quiet. the walking foot performs great and it can fmq better than i can.
the bad news is, it does have some sort of computerized function - i see 3 little circuit boards in the diagram. i think that is true of all machines that have the needle down feature, and probably the auto thread cutter too. if you are determined to avoid that, maybe a singer 66 or 201 in a cabinet would be a better choice. they do have large harps, and my 66 treadle is almost as big as the babylock. even an old singer in pristine shape would be a lot less than the newer 9” harp machines. with the convenience of the level machine in the cabinet, there is not much difference in handling a large, bulky quilt. unfortunately, i can’t treadle anywhere near 1500 spm - and it doesn’t have reverse. i find the high speed really helps in fmq.
i don’t have any info on used machines - but i would not want to buy one sight unseen.
i had never used a walking foot, and didn’t know much about fmq when i purchased my
machine. having that skill first is certainly going to help you make a good decision.
good luck in your search
lefty - in philly

Annie Pearl 05-28-2014 09:25 AM

Look at the Brother 1500s. It's a straight stitch mechanical machine. It has a 9inch throat,needle threaders, thread cutter and comes with all the feet a quilter needs among other things. Amazon.com has them for $599.00 and it gets great reviews.

LAQUITA 05-28-2014 10:19 AM

LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea
Reply Reply With Quote Blog this Post
Yesterday, 08:26 PM #12
LAQUITA
Feedback Score
6 (100%)
I too L. O V. E my Janome(s).
I am blessed to have a 6600 and it is a true work horse. I bought it used from a local sewing Sophie that I shop as I. Town. I am in Texas and purchased this and we by ears ago and paid $1.000 for it. It is a heavy duty & yes, heavy machine.

Next is the 11,000 that was upgraded to a .special addition as well as had the Accu-Fill kit added on. I bought this one last year, from the same shop for $2'300, ; it was a one owner that traded it in for a 12,000 model) this one is a combo sewing / embroidery machine. I got it strictly for embroidering (but it can be used for sewing if need be) this one sits in one place as it weighs about 35 pounds. It sews and embroiders beautifully. I have no complaints.

Several of my quilting friends have these veery same machines and love them just as well. Also, I called and called more than once to the shop asking about both these machines, as trade in. I was told each time, they don't hardly ever get these in for trades. And they always have people calling wanting a used one. I was blessed with calling on THE day these were brought in. Had not even been serviced yet.

The day I called to check on the 6600. My friend at the store told me they had just taken this one in that morning as a true axe upl I knew I wanted this machine, so sight unseen I paid for it Over the phone with a CC so it would be mine! . I went in a few days later to pick it up, it had to be serviced and cleaned and my friend at the shop told that while she was on the phone with me, taking my CC # someone else was asking if they had any in. She had to put me on hold to tell the other lady in the store that it had just sold....to me!!

Similar thing happened to the 11,000 but it was so late in the day on Sat when it was brought in, and I had to pray about it $ discuss it with hubby due to the price, before deciding anything. But come. Monday morning at 10AM I was three and paid for it.

At out local store you get 1 year warranty on any used machine you purchase from them, as well as a free classes on how to use the machine / feet and anything else it comes with. This was a huge help to me on the 11,000 not having used this kind of embroidery machine before. Also, which was an additional plus for me with this particular machine, I got a CC ONLY for this store and had 12 no interest the first year. Needless to say she was paid off before the year was up!

My last and newest (brand new in fact) is the Janome 3160. This one is a regular size swing machine, with a few extra stitches on it, regular size harp space, but it is really light weight (@ 12 lbs)!and is my travel machine when I need one to travel with, Classes, retreats, friends house .... This one cost right at 800.00 brand new and came with the additional table / tray for increased sewing area. I bought this from a LQD b/c she had them cheaper than my sewing machine store did plus it already included with the additional table.

This is the breakdown of my Janome family and I would not trade any of them! (Probably WAY more than you asked for huh?) lol
I wish you well on your search to find the right machine for you.

toverly 05-28-2014 11:59 AM

I have the Juki 2010 and love it. It's simple, basic and has the larger throat. The best way is to find a dealer or show and test any machines you think you might like. I found a friend with one and used hers first. Once you decide check with your local dealers and see if they will match the internet prices. I was delighted to find mine matched online pricing. He set it up in the shop, tested it, told me all about it and now I have local servicing.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-28-2014 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl (Post 6734845)
Look at the Brother 1500s. It's a straight stitch mechanical machine. It has a 9inch throat,needle threaders, thread cutter and comes with all the feet a quilter needs among other things. Amazon.com has them for $599.00 and it gets great reviews.

I second this machine. I have it and love it. I use it every day. I piece with it and quilt with it, both straight line and FMQ. Mine was purchased online from AllBrands 2 -3 years ago. Best purchase ever.