Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   More Organizing tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-organizing-tips-t146743.html)

LisaGibbs 08-21-2011 08:23 AM

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful words about my new sewing room. I have shared some of my organizing tips before and so I will share a few more.

1. Back to School at Walmart has little 3 drawer organizers in lots of bright colors with a flip up top and small compartments in the back for $4.97. The flip top is for the pins I use all the time, I have another one with my glass head pins, safety pins, etc.

2. Peg board is cheap and they cut it for you at Lowes for free. I had one sheet cut into three pieces so that nothing was so high I couldn't reach or so low I couldn't see. This is also perfect for sectioning off items. I have one for tools, rulers, etc. one for thread (hot glue 3" dowels in the holes) also can be used for prefilled bobbins.

3. Again, contact paper is my new bff when repurposing items. I found that if you get Ramen Noodles (my son's new favorite after football snack-yuck) that come in a pack, the cardboard box under is perfect for storing patterns and folded fat quarters. Now whatever container I am about to throw away I wonder what I can organize with it. I stay away from glass.

4. Clear shower curtains a the dollar store are CHEAP and can be quickly cut and sewn into bags to hang projects. All items are together, index card what you need on the outside so when you are ready to tackle a project, shop sales, etc. you are good to go.

5. I hate stacks of magazines and can't part with them if I want to do a project. Have them scanned and saved on your computer and pass along the magazine. I have been doing that since my scrapbook magazines nearly caused the shelfs to collapse. Then you are never wondering where that pattern went. When ready, print out instructions, put in your clear bag and begin stash shopping then index card listing and projects ready to sew.

6. Skirt racks are awesome for hanging ready to quilt tops. They are $4.97 at Walmart, hold six to a hanger tiered, and have amazing grip power.

With prices making handmade items more expensive now I have a purpose when I shop. Lists are my best friends because even writing them down seem to make me remember what I need when I see a sale. If you are bad about remembering your lists. Email them to yourself so when you are in a store you can access it from your phone (if you have a smart phone) or use your phones note feature.

Okay, so since I can't travel to each of your rooms to organize I hope I have helped a little.

crafty pat 08-21-2011 08:33 AM

Thank you for all the good tip's. Some I use already but others are new and will sure come in handy.

amma 08-21-2011 08:34 AM

Love your tips :D:D:D
#5- Make sure after scanning a PP pattern to print it out and verify it is the right size :wink:
You could also keep a notebook for some pattern pieces, that way they are ready to be copied later on :D:D:D

LisaGibbs 08-21-2011 08:55 AM

I normally just scan the entire page and store it at 100% and not shrink it. I also use my photo shop to write the exact sizes of pattern pieces on it in the event it does what you said and "shrinks"

ube quilting 08-21-2011 08:59 AM

Thanks for all your helpful ideas. They really do come in handy.
peace

incoming2me 08-21-2011 09:06 AM

I put in peg board several months ago..

Gluing the dowels in for bobbins.. VERY cool idea.
I was thinking about a way to do that very thing yesterday!
Until now, I had a screwdriver rack hooked in to hold a few bobbins but the posts are too close to do much with it.

THANK YOU!

loves_2_quilt 08-21-2011 11:46 AM

Good tips, thanks.