Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   More quilting after finished & bound? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-quilting-after-finished-bound-t307770.html)

copehome 10-31-2019 04:10 PM

More quilting after finished & bound?

Anyone ever added more quilting after you have finished the quilt - including binding? I finished a baby quilt that I think needs more quilting than I did. If you've quilted "after the fact" how did it work for you? Any tips or recommendations?

Iceblossom 10-31-2019 04:30 PM

Do it all the time! Hopefully you did enough to stabilize it. A little harder to do on a long arm, you have to attach the finished ends to leaders. Otherwise, if you are doing on your domestic, just stick it in and let 'er rip!

Tartan 10-31-2019 04:43 PM

Sure you can add quilting.

dunster 10-31-2019 05:08 PM

I've done it when I've discovered that I missed an area. On the longarm I just clamp the top and bottom loosely to the frame, never to the leaders.

Claire123 10-31-2019 09:50 PM

I have not done this, but can understand how this could happen. As long as you don't add too much, go ahead.

Ellen 1 11-02-2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by copehome (Post 8321177)
Anyone ever added more quilting after you have finished the quilt - including binding? I finished a baby quilt that I think needs more quilting than I did. If you've quilted "after the fact" how did it work for you? Any tips or recommendations?

Yes. If I see a spot that I missed I will add quilting. If you have gotten to the point of having binding on, I doubt the layers will move much, if any, with more quilting. Go ahead and add the quilting. You will be happier with it.

This can be done on the machine you used to quilt the first of the quilt (as with a domestic machine). I am using a longarm. I just pin the quilt back on the leaders on the frame the same way I did when the quilt was just a backing. You just have to be careful not to quilt on the binding. (Quilting slower when near the edge with the longarm). :-)

I have also done as Dunster said and just clamped the quilt around the frame. I use the clamps to hold the quilt in place so I can wrap it around the frame....that is basically the same result as pinning.

Ellen 1 11-02-2019 08:09 AM

Just want to add, I had made a cute child’s quilt and just quilted around the “lines” of the character. After it had been washed a few times, it looked very “sloppy”. I pinned it back on my longarm and “quilted it to death”. It looked so much better and I am happy I added the quilting. Do not be afraid to add as much quilting as you think it needs.

Barb in Louisiana 11-02-2019 07:37 PM

I had a quilt that was quilted at the minimum amount, every 4 inches. The weight of the quilt when I tried to move it started popping both the block seams and the quilting stitches. I added a lot more quilting and solved the problem totally. Now, I try to not have any areas more than 2 inches without quilting, regardless of what the batting requires. I do use pantographs mostly and they interlace so that there is support everywhere on the quilt to prevent seams popping.

juliasb 11-03-2019 06:47 AM

I have done this on a number of occasions. Sometimes I will look at a quilt and see it needs more dimension. That calls for more quilting so I go for it.

Jordan 11-03-2019 07:12 AM

I have done it before on a quilt that I was not satisfied with and the quilter left a lot of open areas.