Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Most difficult (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/most-difficult-t263760.html)

Friday1961 04-09-2015 03:25 AM

You may meet some resistance because people who want quilting done never realize what they are getting -- skilled and precise labor that may take hours. And on a DSM, at that! But I'd charge no less than $75 for this (and it's really worth $100 if you are doing the binding, too, imo).....unless she's a friend and you're partly doing her a favor.

Onebyone 04-09-2015 05:05 AM

Tell her you are giving her a special price but can't do that again. If you don't make that clear, then she will tell everyone it didn't cost much at all to have you do it and then everyone will want the same thing for the same price. You will be stuck.

Lady Diana 04-09-2015 05:20 AM

Call around to long armers and see what they charge per square inch. The going rate here is .025. So two and half times your sq. inches is about $68 plus the charge for the binding...Call and see how you compare. Right now, you are under your cost in thread and time.

mckwilter 04-09-2015 05:39 AM

I agree with everyone else that $50 is a lot less than you should ask for. Use Feline Fanatic's figures and ask for an even $90. Since you didn't have anything in writing, use that as a starting point, then negotiate with her for a lesser figure, but I wouldn't go below $75. Also, don't give her the quilt until she pays you the money! That was a "learning experience" for me, and that was with a friend.

Boston1954 04-09-2015 06:07 AM

You should charge a bit more since it was a bit tough to do, and I am glad for your sake that it was not any larger. By the way, you did a gorgeous job!

tessagin 04-09-2015 06:18 AM

Your work is beautiful. I'm sure no matter what you charge, she'll balk a little or a lot. Take heed what everyone has stated. Great guidelines to go by for the next time.

red-warrior 04-09-2015 06:21 AM

Wonderful quilting !

sassysews2 04-09-2015 06:29 AM

call longarmers in your area

[QUOTE=FURBALLS;7157997]Was asked by a lady how much would I charge to quilt a quilt for her. Said I needed to see it see it first. She brought it by and I agreed to do it. We never settled on a cost. Boy did I bite off more than I could chew. The quilt was flannel, back and front, and had polyester batting. Plus she wanted to use the backing for the binding. Well, learned that quilting flannel and polyester on my DSM was really hard. Plus the fact that this is the first time I had ever brought the backing to the front to bind. Anyway, I just finished it and figured I would charge maybe $40 to 50 for the work. The quilt is 64x42. Do you think that I will be charging to much?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516310[/ATTACH][/QUO TE]
Call other longarmers in your area and see what they charge. Price varies a long in my area, from custom work (very high) to edge to edge with same pattern overall. Don't get in a trap where you are so cheap that others will want the same price. Charge the same as other longarmers plus the binding.

debbieoh 04-09-2015 06:36 AM

I think you're too cheap

fayeberry 04-09-2015 07:43 AM

The quilting is just great. I think you should charge more.