Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Most useful features of a sewing machine to U? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/most-useful-features-sewing-machine-u-t58107.html)

retired2pa 08-07-2010 05:43 AM

Jack...yes, the seam guide is different than the 1/4" foot. It attaches to the post along with your 1/4" foot and has an "arm" that extends. It is adjustable and can be set at your 1/4", 1/2", and 5/8" markings on the plate. Instead of trying to keep your material on the lines (or tape, if you use that...I don't like anything sticky on my machine :)) the arm that extends keeps your material guided perfectly.

Hope this makes sense :)

mms61371 08-07-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by iluvquilts
Great question - that will help me also. Right now - the #1 priority for me is a machine that will have the "up/down" needle option.

Cindy

I agree! :thumbup:

Lostn51 08-07-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by koipuddle
Hi,
What automatic features of a sewing machine do you find most useful when piecing and quilting, auto tie off, auto thread scissors, etc? This will help me decide which machine to purchase, since I cannot afford one with ALL the bells and whistles. Thank you,
Jack

One that will work without electricity. :mrgreen:

Billy

damaquilts 08-07-2010 06:31 AM

Needle threader Hands down.

leaha 08-07-2010 06:34 AM

IDT on my Pfaff!

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-07-2010 06:35 AM

For me . . .it's the "Free Hand System" on my Bernina. It's a lever attached to the front of my machine and aims downward so that my upper leg controls the lifting and lowering of the presser foot. This enables me to turn and manipulate the fabric as I sew without taking my hands off the fabric. I absolutely couldn't sew without it.

Secondly . . .and I know many who find this machine gadget a bother . . .I couldn't live without my needle threader. Didn't think it would be that essential 'til I bought my first machine with one and now . . .I probably wouldn't be able to thread the needle otherwise LOL

Lady Diana 08-07-2010 07:04 AM

If you do alot of piecing, the Auto Thread Cutter and knee lift. If you quilt on your machine, the Accufeed built in walking foot is to die for.Needle up, needle down for all kinds of sewing. Since I piece, I use the Auto thread cutter all the time, infact, I purchased a Janome 3160 to take to class...bought it becasue it was light weight and had that thread cutter....I have a Janome 6600 that is a dream machine and you can't beat the price. It does all the above and has the Accufeed. Too heavy for class, but wouldn't trade it for the world. Test drive several and I think you find the features on the 6600 and the price to your liking. Of course they have the new Horizon for about $3,000 that has all the same features of the 6600 with more decorative stitches and more light and two more inches in the harp area. The Janome 6600 ranges from $1000-1200. There is a yahoo group for most machines, check them out. The group for the 6600 is Janome [email protected] Happpy hunting.
Diana in TX

Julie in NM 08-07-2010 07:50 AM

If you are looking for a machine, first decide what your price range is and go from there. Most of the mid range machine have tons of features quilters/sewers love. Money talks.Store financing sometimes has a better intrest rate than a major credit card.

Ardelle Coult 08-07-2010 07:57 AM

I have a Brother ULT2002 with all the bells and whistles and I love it. I also have a Brother 6000 that is computerized and costs under $200 - it is an amazing machine......has bells but no whistles. I love the fact that I can use the push button to make the machine run - no need to hook up the foot peddle. Has needle up or down and semi-auto threading, but no auto cut-off. The tie off is manual (you have to push a button). The machine comes with a walking foot.

quilterguy27 08-07-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by koipuddle
Hi,
What automatic features of a sewing machine do you find most useful when piecing and quilting, auto tie off, auto thread scissors, etc? This will help me decide which machine to purchase, since I cannot afford one with ALL the bells and whistles. Thank you,
Jack

The ONLY feature I love on my machine it the automatic threader because I can't see well enough to thread it on my own. None of the other features matter. By the way, my machine doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles. I bought it for the threading feature and it works great. I can manage the rest on my own.