Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Musings on Murphy's Laws of Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/musings-murphys-laws-quilting-t260865.html)

Laurajbr 02-07-2015 04:30 AM

The pincushion, clips or fastners of any kind are 6 inches outside my reach as soon as I have lined up a dart, cornered a binding, or set a ruffle.

DebbieJJ 02-07-2015 05:27 AM

No matter how many times I measure twice and cut once, there is always one block to remake for each quilt because of a short piece. I always manage to mess up at least one block in each quilt, usually on the last cutting, or squaring up.

coopah 02-07-2015 05:28 AM

When there's only 1 square left to do and no extra fabric, you spill tea on it...or soda.

nwm50 02-07-2015 06:33 AM

Or you lost your reading glasses and find it at the next stitch in, it was in your machine tote bag the whole time!

captlynhall 02-07-2015 08:24 AM

Quilts attract kitties like magnets attract pins. No matter how stealth I think I'm being when I try to slip into my sewing room, as soon as I close the door they sit outside and whine, while little paws are reaching under the door to try to open it.

MargeD 02-07-2015 11:00 AM

When I put something down on my sewing table, it can disappear in a nanosecond. When you know you have a certain item, extra blades, extra needles, etc., they will always show up after you bought new ones. When making a project, and you run out of the border fabric, more fabric will show up after finishing the item and deciding not to put a border on either end. Case in point, this just happened to me this morning, but since I had already finished quilting the item, it will stay that way. My DIL was thrilled with the dresser scarf that I'd made for our DGD, so that was a good thing, she just appreciates what I make for her, and that's why I don't mind making things for her and my DS, or DGD.

Pennyhal 02-07-2015 11:04 AM

LOL! Yep. All that stuff happens in my house too.

madamekelly 02-07-2015 12:53 PM

When you have spent months (or years) collecting just the right fabrics for the "perfect" quilt you have planned, and finally have it all rounded up, ready to sew, your pattern will have taken a vacation to Abudabi, or somewhere, but if ain't where you put it!

Jim's Gem 02-07-2015 01:11 PM

When you have searched and searched for a type of fabric, or theme. Finally get the quilt made then you can find all kinds of great fabrics that would have been better

Poodles 02-07-2015 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pam S (Post 7079064)
Been working on a quilt with lots of points to match. Why is it that the points are always perfect when you've sewn the block in upside down? One of Murphy's Laws, I guess. What other laws of quilting have you run into?

I don't what to say except for weeks now it seems everything has gone wrong. Can't seem to keep things where I am sure I put them there nor hold them in my hand either. Both my Singers quit sewing right within a week of each other. Might be trying to tell me something who knows.