Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Musings re: stash and purchasing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/musings-re-stash-purchasing-t134264.html)

luvstoquilt301 07-01-2011 03:18 AM

I have a stash because I am a VERY productive charity quilter. I buy fabric that is a bargain or I could not afford to give so much away.

I make children's quilts and quilts for the military. Also our local Hospice. I am given fabric my members of my guild also.

I have a certain amount of space for all quilty things. I like organization and fabric out where I can see it on shelves. It makes me very happy to see it all and know that soon it will be turned into quilts.

gls234 07-01-2011 03:24 AM

I am in total agreement with you. We always have a stash because I always buy a little more than the project needs just in case. When starting a project, the fabric in my house is either not enough, wrong shade, or - how about this - too much. Don't want to cut into it as I need it in the future. A stash is guilty reminder of money spent not being used but more important for me, it becomes a storage problem.

Thanks for sharing. I thought I was the only one.

Babs194068 07-01-2011 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I've been hanging around here for a couple weeks, loving every post, but I feel like I'm in the minority in that I am not a "stasher." By that I mean I don't purchase fabric without a distinct purpose. I save all my scraps, of course, and I will occasionally purchase a bit extra, particularly if it's a fabric I truly love. But I don't go out and buy just for the sake of buying. I learned this long ago with my knitting, and I feel like for me, the same goes for quilting: if I don't have a plan when I buy something, it'll never get used. I don't mind having a few "pets" in my stash, but it's like any other animal--it gets to a point where the care and feeding is simply overwhelming and no longer enjoyable. ;) Realistically, I can only complete a handful of quilts a year. If something enters my stash now and doesn't see the light of day for five years, I may not even like it anymore! I also don't make a lot of money, but I like to use good materials. It saves me money to only purchase what I need, when I need it.

There are lots and lots of reasons I prefer to buy fabric on an as-needed basis. I'm not at all judging or disparaging those who have huge stashes, but it's definitely not how I approach my hobby.

What are your reasons for stashing or not?

Your lucky, I have stash and every time I do a new project I have to buy all new fabric. The only nice thing about my stash is that it was purchase in different states when we were on vacation.

sewgarden 07-01-2011 03:34 AM

You sound like me

SherriB 07-01-2011 03:40 AM

I have a stash because I love fabric. I love to look at it, touch it and smell it. I also have a stash so I don't have to worry if I can buy fabric in a few years. If I can, great! If not, I will just pull from my own closet. I am no where near a hoarder and doubt I ever will be. (Can't stand clutter at all!)

Dolphyngyrl 07-01-2011 03:45 AM

me i don't have a stash, don't have the space or money, honestly don't know how people can afford it

olebat 07-01-2011 03:45 AM

My fabric hording (strike that - collection/stashing) habit is somewhat organized. I see something I really love, I decide how much I love it. Love enough for piecing, OBW, borders or perhaps a background, and buy yardage accordingly. I keep a swatch in a small photo album, (have several) which I carry with on shopping trips. Matching, coordinating, and contrasting, until I have what I feel are compatible and sufficient fabrics for a quilt. I began doing that when I wanted to make a quilt with a much loved fabric, and couldn't find what I wanted to balance the colors, at home, or in my local stores. When I store the fabrics, they are by intended projects. When there is an opportunity to attend a retreat, or an out of town trip, I can just grab a stack of fabric and go.

karenpatrick 07-01-2011 04:13 AM

I just love fabric, that's why I buy it. I love everything about it. The feel, the smell of a quilt shop, the other shoppers, cutting it, sewing it. I just love it.

jasming 07-01-2011 04:17 AM

My stash consists of scraps and some Christmas fabrics I purchased on liquidation at the end of last season. I don't buy without a project in mind.

nyelphaba 07-01-2011 04:21 AM

I have a stash of fabrics I love. I do not buy large amounts of yardage unless I am buying for backing. I love looking at these fabrics and some of them are so special to me I do not what to use them because I cannot replace them. They make me happy.