Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Muslin confusion? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/muslin-confusion-t103779.html)

tuesy 02-28-2011 07:14 AM

I'm in search of some muslin. I've checked my favorite place (fabric.com) and they're out of the bolt.
So I start looking around on here (via search)and am even more confused.

I know what the 200 tc muslin is, don't want that really, but don't want something that is so thin either.

I normally buy the Kona muslin, but have ran across Moda Muslin. Has anyone bought both? What are the comparisions on it? Does anyone know the tc on it?

Now there is another muslin, tea dyed (which I love), but it's made by RocLon and I don't know the tc on it, so I'm hesitant to buy any.

Then I see this wording of 78x78 yarn construction or 60x60 yarn construction. What does that mean?

On the one 60x60 yarn construction it said comstruction very similar to Kona cotton. Well that doesn't tell me a thing..

Help me please...I just want good muslin..

sweet 02-28-2011 07:24 AM

Hi Tuesy, What a great question you pose! I hope someone has some good info here!

sue in NH 02-28-2011 07:31 AM

I too would like to know what to look for when buying muslin.In a rush to make a purchase before the store closed for the day I grabbed a bolt of 108" muslin thinking I would use that to back some large quilts and the feathers I just learned would show nicely on it. I just cut my first piece and pinned it to the frame - I can see daylight through it!
The label doesn't have any thread count on it. I now have a bolt of muslin & don't know what I can use it for.

quilter1943 02-28-2011 07:31 AM

Sorry, I do touchy-feely, and probably don't buy the same one twice. I do love Kona though and buy it when I can if it's for a quilt and not just practice.

quilting librarian 02-28-2011 07:42 AM

I, too, would like to know, and will be interested to read the responses.

Tilladare 02-28-2011 08:51 AM

78 by 78 construction and 60 by 60 construction tells you how many threads are in your warp and weft per inch. This gives you a 156 (give or take a thread) thread count on the 78 by 78, and a 120 thread count on the 60 by 60. The 78(156) will give you finer stitching when handquilting, and generally speaking a slight less shrinkage.

grammy17 02-28-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sue in NH
I too would like to know what to look for when buying muslin.In a rush to make a purchase before the store closed for the day I grabbed a bolt of 108" muslin thinking I would use that to back some large quilts and the feathers I just learned would show nicely on it. I just cut my first piece and pinned it to the frame - I can see daylight through it!
The label doesn't have any thread count on it. I now have a bolt of muslin & don't know what I can use it for.

I bought some of that at Joanns and used it to back my quilt. Prewashed it first and dryed in the dryer to shrink it. It doesn't really feel nice to the touch. But I don't do muslin sheets anymore either.

Somebunny 02-28-2011 09:04 AM

I read a lot about muslin a while back as I wanted to start dying my own quilting material. I ended up buying a bolt of Roc-lon based on price and quality and personally am really happy with it. Not thin, soft. Haven't dyed it yet.

nativetexan 02-28-2011 09:17 AM

Roc-Lon muslin #5125 is what i bought years ago and it is nice. i cant' see my hand through it. now, it's years old. i think i got it at joann's or hancocks fabrics. it's very hard now to find good muslin. i have a bolt of this and will be sorry to use it all up.

tuesy 02-28-2011 12:27 PM

Thank you for all your input.

I went to W/M this morning to check out their muslin and found RocLon muslin. Very nice feeling and you can't see your hand through it. I bought all they had.

I'm still not sure about the muslin thing, but for now I'm happy.. until I run out again :lol: