Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Must buy a new machine ASAP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/must-buy-new-machine-asap-t113766.html)

ncredbird 04-05-2011 02:10 PM

I did all my quilting on a Singer 301a until I got my new Janome 7700. I think there are other older Singers out there with a larger harp opening that would have made life a little easier when doing FMQ but you can't beat the easy maintenance and cleaning of these older machines. I have my Mother's old machine and it is almost as old as I am. I think some of the older Singer dress making and tailoring machines would have had a larger opening to the right of the needle so you would have more room to manipulate your quilt while quilting but I don't know what the model numbers would be. Check with a Singer repairman or look on Craigslist. I find a lot of old Singers listed on Craigslist. Anything built after the mid 60's isn't worth having. The machine my DH bought me for a wedding present in 1969 ended up as target practice in the back field after being to the repair man over a dozen times in 2 years. The repairman said that the new machines were nothing but junk and that was the last Singer machine I owned that was new. I'll take an old one any day. Ann in TN

Sallyflymi 04-05-2011 02:21 PM

I have 3 kemore's the oldest is 40 years and going strong. That was the only one i bought. I stick with what i know. They seem to last for ever.

lyndaloo 04-05-2011 02:31 PM

I love my Kenmore. Mine is probably 3 or 4 years old, but they are on sale for $259 at Sears right now. 110 stitches, computerized, etc. You could use your surplus to buy more fabric!!

Whatever you choose, I hope you love it!

mygirl66 04-05-2011 02:32 PM

DH bought me a Brother CS6000-i for Valintines Day! He said he couldnt pass it up, he saw it on Amazon for $159! And they deliver it to your door, no lugging it home! 50 plus stiches! I love it!
Sorry to hear your old friend has pooped out on you.

Stitchnripper 04-05-2011 02:33 PM

I am a fan of vintage singers or Brother machines.

luvstitches 04-05-2011 02:47 PM

Spent a lot of money on a Viking almost 8 years ago. The computer went on it 2 times, both under warranty. The next time it goes I will pitch it and use my back up I purchased from craigslist...a Bernina 830 for 300 dollars!!! It runs beautifully. So, buy an older machine, they are work horses.

emerald46 04-05-2011 02:56 PM

I have several machines..but my Kenmore and my Brother are my favorites, both about 7 years old. The Singer dealer even told me 4 years ago they would outlast and out perform any Singer I would ever buy. My 3 FWs and treadle being exceptions to that thought!!! They just do not make machinery like they did 20+ years ago.

pocoellie 04-05-2011 03:06 PM

Personally, I wouldn't mind a new Singer, an old Singer, definitely. I would check out a dealer first and see what they have in higher end trade ins that would fit your budget. I would also check out Craig's List in your area, yard sales, estate sales and auctions.

Dolphyngyrl 04-05-2011 03:12 PM

Brother or babylock are my faves

peaceandjoy 04-05-2011 03:26 PM

I'm sorry if this ends up a double-post - which is more likely something that I did on my laptop (what the heck is it that makes me do that??) - than this board!

I like my Janome Jem Platinum (760) very much, and for that price, you could buy a new one. It's lightweight, which is great for sewing days @ guild, retreats or classes. Has some nice stitches,and the straight stitch is nice and even.

I LOVE my Bernina, which is now 15 years old and runs like new. Stich quality and consistency is fabulous. It will go over/through anything - layers of denim, flannel, etc. - without complaint. Hands down, it is the better of the machines, but obviously cost more. While this model is no longer available, I don't think they have anything in that price range.

That said, if I could find a used Bernina from a reputable shop, I'd hop on it in a second. So while I hate to suggest you try to go cold turkey, lol, if you can take a bit of time to check around and/or wait until you can find a used higher end machine, I think you'll be thrilled.

Well, okay, now that I said that - isn't new machine, whether it's really brand new or just new to us - thrilling??