Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Must buy a new machine ASAP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/must-buy-new-machine-asap-t113766.html)

Slow2Sew 04-06-2011 01:34 PM

I found my Janome Quilter's on Craigslist.

jollyquilting 04-06-2011 01:47 PM

I've heard that the new Singer's aren't very good machines now so I would look into a Janome or a good, used one that someone may have upgraded for. Best wishes on your new baby. Jo

blondeslave 04-06-2011 01:50 PM

I love my Kenmore Model# 16231. It came with a walking foot and 1/4" foot when I bought it as a quilter's package several years ago. They still sell it online for $199. This thing is a workhorse-even sewed through a corduroy and flannel rag quilt. It has a lot of features that the higher end machines have like, needle up down, will sew using a start/stop button if you don't want to use the foot pedal. It has a bunch of decorative stitches and I have yet to find a thread it doesn't like. The only thing I don't like is the self threader-on the other hand it could be user error.

purplepamela 04-06-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie
Look into the Janome's. Everyone that has one says they are great machines. Do some research and look on E-Bay, you can get a great deal.

I love my Janome. You can get good deals on them.

fayzer 04-06-2011 02:59 PM

I got my pre-loved Bernetta, a $300 machine for $150 at a local quilt shop. The machine had a walking foot included that would have cost me $50. So actually the machine was $100. I love it.

purplefiend 04-06-2011 04:42 PM

A great new machine that's under $500 is the Husqvarna viking Emerald 116, its a much better machine than any of the new Singers out there. I used to sell both brands.
You might also consider a used high end machine.
I recently bought a Pfaff 2040, it has the IDT(built in walking foot).

1screech 04-06-2011 05:33 PM

If you only have a small budget, I would much rather have an old singer, and old bernina (which by the way are wonderful) an old elna, an old anything rather than a $300 to $500 machine brand new. I found my daughter and niece and a friend older Berninas and they sew wonderful. I also love the Featherweight. The downside to a FW is only does a straight stitch. Check Craig's list, the thrift stores and garage sales. Hope you find what you are looking for soon.

madamekelly 04-06-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
My $100 Kenmore seems to be dead. It doesn't seem to be worth repairing it. So on Thursday, I will go shopping. I do not want and cannot afford anything too complicated. Any ideas?

Walmart has decent machines made by Brother, if that is your budget. Brother caters to the hardcore sewers, with rugged machines that take a lot of use. I have a Walmart machine purchased in 2002 that works as well as the day I bought it. It has made lots of garments., toys, quilts, wedding dresses, etc., and never been in the shop! Good Luck!

froggy 04-06-2011 11:58 PM

Hi I agree whole heartedly with buying the brothers machine!! I would have bought a brothers rather than a babylock had I known how great the brother machine was and how much I could have saved!!

froggy 04-06-2011 11:59 PM

I agree with madamekelly