Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Must have Thread colours to have on hand for Quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/must-have-thread-colours-have-hand-quilters-t312229.html)

CaleyH 08-23-2020 06:37 PM

Must have Thread colours to have on hand for Quilters

I probably am asking a silly question, but here goes.

I started my journey in Quilting a few months ago. As I really never did any sewing in nearly 70 years of life, I am in a long learning curve.

One things I wish to know is just what are the must have colours of thread to have on hand. Right now I have black, white, gray, stone, and silver.

I was wondering if I should get colours like red, blue, yellow, green, etc. I've seen some pictures of some quilters work rooms, and they have a myriad of colours. I don't plan on doing any fancy free motion quilting. I tried that today, and it was a disaster. I just don't have the skill with the machine to control both the speed of the machine, and motion needed with the hands. I also doubt I will be doing embroidery, or any other thing that requires me to control both of those actions

I am basically purchasing all my supplies from "Connecting Threads". I like their service. They have quite a few thread colour sets listed, but not sure they are something I should look into.

Hopefully someone can provide a basic list of colours that a person like myself should have on hand.

Onebyone 08-23-2020 06:49 PM

It's not the thread colors so much as the type of thread. There are so many now. I find CT threads fuzzy and has slubs in it. I haven't used any in a couple of years so maybe it has improved. I like Wonderfill, Aurifil, Masterpiece, and Guttermann for piecing. I have Signature thread but find it is linty but sews fine. Sulky and YLI are good threads. It doesn't matter what color you piece with unless you are sewing white or pale fabric then I wouldn't use bright or dark color thread. I use 60 wt thread for bobbins.

CaleyH 08-23-2020 07:26 PM

:Posts #3 and #4 are spam (sexual oriented). Please remove these posts, and block these two posters from the forum

IceLeopard 08-23-2020 07:58 PM

On the left side of the problematic posts, right at the bottom, there is a red triangle with a ! in it. Click on that, and in the box that pops up, report it as spam.

SherylM 08-23-2020 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CaleyH (Post 8412359)

One things I wish to know is just what are the must have colours of thread to have on hand. Right now I have black, white, gray, stone, and silver.

I am basically purchasing all my supplies from "Connecting Threads".

Hopefully someone can provide a basic list of colours that a person like myself should have on hand.

I think the ones you already have are perfect - both dark and light neutrals. I do 90% of my piecing with Superior So Fine #403 Putty (a light taupe, that blends with almost everything.) You can really use any color for piecing, because it doesn't show. The only time I buy other colors is if I need a specific one for a project.

I also like Connecting Threads - I use polyester thread, and use their Essential PRO Poly, besides Superior So Fine.

sandy l 08-24-2020 03:19 AM

I use Aurifil 50 weight in white or light grey for all of my piecing, no matter what color the fabric is. I use a lot of CT poly thread for my quilting and I only do grid quilting on my tops. For that I find that a silver, a green thread(Green Tea), khaki, or a light grey seem to be the best for blending with whatever color my top is.

Onebyone 08-24-2020 04:18 AM

FYI: Aurifil 50 wt. is 2ply cotton so it will be thinner then other cotton 50wt threads that are usually 3 ply. Masterpiece use to be 2 ply but changed to 3 ply a couple of years ago.

pocoellie 08-24-2020 04:20 AM

I think that the colors you mentioned are "must haves", but personally I like to match my thread to my background color. I do like the Connecting Threads Essentials thread, and they are a little linty, but no more than C&C. On a whim, I bought a cone of CT's essentials, because it was on sale, and found out that the cones seem to be less linty than the spools, even though they're supposed to be the same thread, just more of it, so I'll use up my spools and will replace them with the cones.

tallchick 08-24-2020 04:22 AM

I use Aurifil 50 wt for piecing as well, and I keep everything in neutral colors, it makes my life easier. I hand bind quilts, I use Gutterman hand quilting thread matched to the color of the binding.

SusieQOH 08-24-2020 04:49 AM

I use mostly Aurifil as well but I just bought some new brands like So Fine, Masterpiece, etc. I don't use a lot of colors. I mostly use whites, ecrus, grays, etc that blend with a lot. But I have other colors just in case I need them.