Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My 6yr old wants to hand quilt her next one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-6yr-old-wants-hand-quilt-her-next-one-t60569.html)

tortoisethreads 08-21-2010 06:38 AM

Oh no...I've created a determined monster! Remember my 6yr old that made a little doll quilt a while back? She is now working on a crib sized quilt. She should be done today, but she wants to hand quilt it. I'm wondering how to teach her. Has anyone taught someone this young? I though about buying some pearl cotton and teaching her to do a long stitch. I'm worried about those tiny fingers of hers!

raptureready 08-21-2010 06:45 AM

I don't want to sound mean but....
Teach her the proper way to do it with as small of stitches as she can manage. Tell her the smaller the better. After a few minor pin pricks she'll learn. We can't protect them from every little hurt as much as we want to. Let her learn and part of the learning is learning not to stick yourself.
Just give her some thimbles and keep encouraging her. Tell her that it will be so beautiful when she gets it done and that yes, it takes a long time but it's worth every minute.

Every read the story about the butterfly struggling to get out of the cocoon? All the hard work needed to get out also helps them develop so that they can fly. If you open it for them they die. Allow your "butterfly" to develop so that she can fly.

Up North 08-21-2010 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Teach her the proper way to do it with as small of stitches as she can manage. Tell her the smaller the better. After a few minor pin pricks she'll learn. We can't protect them from every little hurt as much as we want to. Let her learn and part of the learning is learning not to stick yourself.
Just give her some thimbles and keep encouraging her. Tell her that it will be so beautiful when she gets it done and that yes, it takes a long time but it's worth every minute.

Every read the story about the butterfly struggling to get out of the cocoon? All the hard work needed to get out also helps them develop so that they can fly. If you open it for them they die. Allow your "butterfly" to develop so that she can fly.

So well said!!
Good for her wanting to try, praise and encourge her all the way.

dkabasketlady 08-21-2010 06:54 AM

Raptureready you said that so beautifully!!!
Encourage your daughter the whole way. Handquilting I feel is becoming a dying art form so let her do it!!

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-21-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready

I think this a great answer! Have her use thimbles and let her learn at her own pace, but encourage her as much as you can.

amma 08-21-2010 07:42 AM

Maybe combine some SID with handquilting?
I think it is wonderful that she wants to learn to handquilt :D:D:D

tortoisethreads 08-21-2010 08:07 AM

Oh I definitely want her to learn the correct technique, I was thinking more of this style of quilting...http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vduCtjwfsP...h/P2170353.JPG I thought it looked really pretty, and she could get used to holding a needle and thread. My handquilting needles are tiny. I might let her use a larger one for her first try. Her quilt is purple and white, so I found some purple embroidery floss. She's excited and knows, although this "thread" is way bigger than mommy's, she will still be quilting.

mom-6 08-21-2010 08:21 AM

What a joy to see her following in your footsteps! (or should that be handprints?)

My DGS (also age 6) is showing signs of wanting to make something as well.

thismomquilts 08-21-2010 08:23 AM

I agree with all - it's much easier to teach the proper way than unteaching the wrong way - I learned that when I was teaching Math and had to help the kids relearn some methods from previous teachers. Just don't 'force' her to do too much - when she's ready to quit for the day, let her... I, personally, would probably finish it for her if she loses interest - but maybe in subsequent ones teach her to finish what she starts...

ilovejunkandstuff 08-21-2010 08:25 AM

I wish someone would have taught me at a young age. Also I still am not able to use a thimble. Teach her that I think it is important and will save those sweet tiny fingers.