Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My batik is disintegrating. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-batik-disintegrating-t280079.html)

TeresaA 07-03-2016 12:34 AM

I do think you're right. This can happen with any cotton fabric, and some here have given examples. It's hard to predict which kind or which one.

Donnasue 07-03-2016 03:34 AM

I am watching this as well. I have been using quite a few batiks in quilts lately, and it would truly hurt my feelings if I spent that kind of time on a quilt, only to have to repair it. Good luck with that and keep us posted.

Needles 07-03-2016 03:40 AM

I believe most batiks are rayon. I don't quilt often, but garment sew frequently. I love batiks, however, I use them infrequently for the reasons you all have on here. They do not hold up well in garment sewing either, because of frequent washings. I think it also depends on country of manufacture.

Jane Quilter 07-03-2016 04:07 AM

So I went and looked close ats my deteriorating quilt, and the batiks, in general all look thinner and aged. The colors giving way are the light pink and light green and they are giving way along the hand quilting lines of cotton (YLI) quilting thread. Just like the thread was stronger than the fabric. so sad.

RosaSharon 07-03-2016 04:47 AM

Here is a thought that hasn't been talked about. Cotton fabrics shrink at different percentages so you should wash all of them before you start your quilt. If one cotton fabric shrinks a little and the batik doesn't shrink, or shrinks at a different percentage, the fabric will pull, and threads will break. Actually, it is the pounding in the hot dryer that shrinks fabric, so don't line dry them.

bearisgray 07-03-2016 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7592668)
So I went and looked close ats my deteriorating quilt, and the batiks, in general all look thinner and aged. The colors giving way are the light pink and light green and they are giving way along the hand quilting lines of cotton (YLI) quilting thread. Just like the thread was stronger than the fabric. so sad.

Is it possible that the needle might have had a burr on it and that damaged the fabric?

bearisgray 07-03-2016 05:02 AM

Sometimes we won't know what the fabrics will do until years later.

I made one quilt many years ago (over 20) of blues and tans - one of the blue prints is soooo faded - it looks like it has been washed about 300 times more than the other blues. The fabric is still intact - even though I used (gasp!) the "old" Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread on it.

Cornerstone quilter 07-03-2016 02:33 PM

would putting a light weight interfacing on the wrong side of the batik before using in a quilt help? kind of like the t-shirts used in t-shirt quilts.

zkosh 07-03-2016 03:47 PM

Yes, this is really frightening! Batiks are my favorite and I am anxious to know what caused this. I do know that some batiks are higher quality than others and I wonder about that. I can't wait to hear if someone can tell us more about what i happening!

ibex94 07-03-2016 03:52 PM

I lost interest in batiks after hurricane katrina flooded my home. I was able to rescue my fabrics but the batiks were all washed out and the fabric frayed. It is likely something with the dying process. The newer batiks may not lose their dye as much anymore but I don't want to risk spending all that money for a fabric that has proven itself useless in extreme conditions. I want my quilts to survive at least until I have died, lol. They are pretty and make great blenders but if you're going to use the quilt, I wouldn't use a batik.