Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   MY Bernina Died!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-bernina-died-t156035.html)

debs 09-26-2011 12:29 PM

:cry: :cry:
Yes, Its true, and in the midst of sewing! I took it in last month for servicing and when they called for me to pick it up, they said something other than what I had mentioned was wrong with it, and they were ordering a part ( a cable ) hoping that it wasn't the motherboard ( expensive ). Well, it has been a month & the cable has not come in, when it was sent home it supposedly would still sew. This weekend when I went to do some major straight stitching it just died in the midst. I have no idea how long it will take for the part to arrive, I have multiple projects lined up for the coming holidays and really need to be sewing daily. So here is my question????
A. Should I just wait & hope for the best.
B. Go out & purchase a cheap under $200 machine and sew away. I've looked at Brothers & they have several under $200 that look like I could do quite well with them.
C. See if the Bernina shop will take my machine in as a trade for what they sell, Bernina, Baby Lock, Juki, etc. What hurts even more is I bought the leather roller foot for the Bernina this past week on sale! Its regularly $80.

I have an old Sears Kenmore cam machine 1971, but it weighs about a hundred pounds and I hate to set it up. Also have an old Singer treadle I haven't cleaned up yet and 2 sergers. The new machines even the under $200 ones even under $100 are so light and do so much.

Also should I just get a mechanical one or a computerized one, I really am not that interested in getting one that does embroidery, but I love doing fancy stitches.

Any comments, suggestions, etc. welcome,

Debs & Hemi

Candace 09-26-2011 12:52 PM

Use your Kenmore. It' s a much better built machine than any of the plastic stuff you can buy for $200. Save your money, IMO.

MissSandra 09-26-2011 01:03 PM

several years the mother board went out on my bernina it was 100. for a new one.

Kas 09-26-2011 01:20 PM

What model do you have? I do so love my Bernina. If it were to need servicing I have a FW and a 301, several treadles and a Kenmore (my daughter's) to use while I wait. Oh, and my old Pfaff Tiptronic.

Shelbie 09-26-2011 01:26 PM

Don't waste your money on a cheap machine. After sewing on a Bernina, you'll hate it and (maybe even say bad words). Either get yours repaired or look for a used one. When I put the motor out of my Bernina, I was lucky enough to find a used machine for way less than the repair.

Shelbie 09-26-2011 01:27 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Rachel 09-26-2011 01:27 PM

Talk to the store that has your bernina and ask if they can give you a loaner until your's is fixed. I think they do that here.

irishrose 09-26-2011 01:29 PM

I'd use the Kenmore until you decide what's going on with your Bernina.

rusty quilter 09-26-2011 02:43 PM

I would see about a loaner, but pretty sure you would hate "stepping back" to a cheap machine...

Dolphyngyrl 09-26-2011 02:50 PM

The cheap brothers do just nicely and last just fine, I hate that people bad mouth them on here. I have one from 93 that still runs, my MIL used it the other day to make an apron. My other one is 5 years old, never had any problems, I just bought another one. You are not going to be using it that often and it is great for class as well as a back up machine.