Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Brother bites the dust (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-brother-bites-dust-t109141.html)

MommaDorian 03-20-2011 08:22 AM

I knew it was only a matter of time before my machine died. The take up lever has been wearing out. Now it's causing the bobbin tension to go wonky. I can't afford another one now, so it's time to wait. I guess I'll get caught up on my reading. Too bad I was in the middle of some fun projects. Of course, I cried. lol My husband thinks I'm crazy.

Country1 03-20-2011 08:26 AM

My condolences are with you. But think of all the wonderful and beautiful things you done together. Hope you can get another soon. Check the yard sales and thrift stores for a standby to tide you over until then. Thinking of you!!! :XD:

deanneellen 03-20-2011 08:29 AM

So sorry to hear about your Brother. That is my biggest fear that I will be in the middle of a project and my machine will need some intensive care!

milp04 03-20-2011 08:36 AM

Hi Dorian,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Brother.

Might I give you a few suggestions. Post a request for a free machine on craigslist or freecycle. Check craiglist for a cheap machine to get by with until you have the funds to repair or replace your machine. Save money (even a $5) each week from the gas or grocery shopping. Put off buying coffee on the go or eating out for a period putting the money is your special "bank", and in no time at all you'll have enough to get at least an entry level machine on sale at our favorite JoAnns, Hancocks, etc. I'm sure you can figure out a way you've bought fabric before...right !!!

If you're in a guild or club, put out a request for someone having an old machine sitting in a closet collecting dust that they no longer want or need. They may be able to do some spring cleaning and you'll be back to sewing.

Hope to hear you're sewing soon.

Pam M

CarrieAnne 03-20-2011 08:37 AM

Aw, I dont think your crazy! I have gotten some cheap ones from garage sales, they will be starting soon!

MommaDorian 03-20-2011 08:40 AM

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I'm watching Craigslist right now as I knew this was going to happen eventually. My MIL got an old Singer (1996) at a thrift shop, but it doesn't sew evenly. Plus it's grinds as it sews. I think I'll check out some other thrift stores though!!

Thanks again.

terri bb 03-20-2011 08:43 AM

oh no how sad!!! but while you wait for another machine, get some graph paper and some colored pencils, a pencil, ruler, and lots of erasers and have fun! then when you get your new one you can have LOADS of things to make and it might take the sting out of not being able to sew! i can't get my reading done, i joined audibles.com, its a branch off of amazon.com and i just listen to my books as i sew so i feel i have mastered the multitasking part of life!! LOL :)

C.Cal Quilt Girl 03-20-2011 08:46 AM

Ohhh sorry about your machine.... Yep someone out there has an extra, that needs a good workout !! Good Luck

Put it to DH like this how would he feel if the Remote / or some other well used item took a dive. :)

LucyInTheSky 03-20-2011 08:51 AM

Well, at least it wasn't your biological living person brother. Based on the title, it could go either way ;)

KathyAire 03-20-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I knew it was only a matter of time before my machine died. The take up lever has been wearing out. Now it's causing the bobbin tension to go wonky. I can't afford another one now, so it's time to wait. I guess I'll get caught up on my reading. Too bad I was in the middle of some fun projects. Of course, I cried. lol My husband thinks I'm crazy.

There is always a needle and your fingers. I think it is called hand sewing. Personally, I'm allergic to it.