Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My childhood quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-childhood-quilt-t276631.html)

wesing 03-11-2016 07:01 PM

My childhood quilt

1 Attachment(s)
My mom gave me back the quilt my Granny made me when I was a kid. Emmaline was in the sewing room with us tonight and got tired, so I told her my grandmother made it for me when I was a little boy and asked if she wanted to lay on it. The quilt is as soft as a cloud from being used and washed so much, and you can see that some of the hexies are rotting. I hope I can repair this quilt, but even if I did I'd be afraid to use it any more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544588[/ATTACH]

Any suggestions about repair are welcome. All I know to do is appliqué over the damaged blocks.

Genden 03-11-2016 08:25 PM

I don't know how to repair the quilt to use it again. Someone else might. I think it may likely be a treasured keepsake. My sister received a quilt made by our great grandmother. It was tattered from age and wear, beyond use and useful restoration. My sister spent a lot of time finding similar fabrics from reproduction collections and reproduced the quilt, even hand quilting it in the same pattern. It isn't the same quilt made by my great grandmother's hands, but my sister enjoyed the journey, somewhat following in her path and her quilt will probably be used over many years like the original.

Cheshirecatquilter 03-11-2016 09:47 PM

I think the child in your photo has given you the answer. Repair it as needed and let her use it up and love it. For people over 40 it's just patch, patch, patch, and so it will be with "her" quilt.

Tartan 03-11-2016 09:56 PM

To preserve antique quilts they use bridal tulle over the areas that are damaged to preserve them as is. If you intend to just display it on a quilt rack, that would be enough. If you intend to use it I think it would need to be repaired constantly.

Painiacs 03-11-2016 11:05 PM

Awww how sweet! Good luck, I'm sure someone's gonna love and use it! :)

cathyvv 03-11-2016 11:08 PM

I can't help with repair suggestions, but what a treasure for you and your daughter! It is beautiful.

Silver Needle 03-12-2016 01:38 AM

If it is a baby quilt size you might want to have it appraised before making a final decision. An appraiser spoke at our quilt guild and said baby quilts and doll quilts often appraise higher than full size quilts because they are rare.

HillCountryGal 03-12-2016 03:43 AM

I vote for repairing as needed. More importantly, let that baby use it. Not all quilts are meant to be "saved". **Don't you know your Granny is smiling from heaven right now?! :)

quilterpurpledog 03-12-2016 04:11 AM

To repair or not repair is a real tough question. I appreciate the love and care that goes into restoration whether it to restore it to its original look or some other configuration. If you choose to restore it choose to display it rather than use it because the deterioration of areas not restored will continue to be degraded with more use. But I know that not all quilts can or should be restored. Some just need to be thrown away. It is a personal matter for sure. The quilts I make are meant to be used, used up and are not intended to be enshrined. I think modern reproduction is a fun idea because it preserves the past and embraces the present.

Skhf 03-12-2016 05:43 AM

I would try to find a "faded" coordinating or matching fabric and applique over the tattered pieces. Taking it apart to resew just sounds like trouble to me. No matter what you decide, I think you just received the most precious memory you could possible get with this sweet child wrapped in love. The photo alone is a keeper