Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Christmas-gift quilts were a big hit! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-christmas-gift-quilts-were-big-hit-t209559.html)

Sewnoma 12-29-2012 12:12 PM

My Christmas-gift quilts were a big hit!

I managed to make fifteen quilts since April this year and gave them all away as Christmas presents to most of my & my husband's immediate family...they were a big hit! Least enthusiastic was my 11 year old nephew but that's hardly surprising. I figure he'll appreciate the quilt more when he's older.

My aunts did not get quilts from me but they saw the ones I gave to my mom & sister and the kids...one of my aunts actually started crying because she was so happy there was a quilter in the family again (which of course made me all teary-eyed too). Their mom (my grandma) was very active in her guild and made uncountable quilts but neither of my aunts are quilters; they both say they "can't do it". I say BALDERDASH and am trying to convince them to try again - I'm trying to get them to come stay a weekend with me for a "quilting retreat" (and maybe a little wine tasting!) which I think would be a marvelously fun bonding time for us. :) Even better, my cousin and my other cousin's girlfriend both want to learn too! I was just full of warm fuzzies...not only did I get some really wonderful compliments on my work, I feel like just maybe I'm going to be helping to keep a family tradition alive across another couple of generations. :thumbup:

And now, of course, I need to make a whole 'nother pile of quilts for my aunts and uncles and cousins... LOL

At some point here I'll post pictures...if/when I can find my darn camera...:rolleyes:

justflyingin 12-29-2012 12:53 PM

I am so happy for you! It is so much fun to make someone else genuinely happy!

hperttula123 12-29-2012 12:53 PM

That is just so cool. It's just a great feeling to have them appreciate the quilts like that. How fun would that be to get them all over for a retreat!!! Congrats on your great accomplishment of finishing that many quilts.

Stitchnripper 12-29-2012 12:57 PM

That is so great to hear!!!!

Raggiemom 12-29-2012 02:16 PM

That is wonderful to hear. I hope you and your family have a great time with your "quilt and wine retreat".

AliKat 12-29-2012 03:58 PM

I think you got the best gift from your family. They got gifts but your gift from them was even better.

Sewnoma 12-29-2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat (Post 5748349)
I think you got the best gift from your family. They got gifts but your gift from them was even better.

I agree with you 100%!

My husband's grandma was especially sweet when I gave her the one I made for her...there aren't any quilters in that family (not one, and it's a HUGE family!) and she said that nobody had EVER made a quilt for her in her whole life! I felt really special that I got to be the first person to make one for her. She's a such a great person, and everybody deserves at least one made-with-love quilt!