Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Dad gets a Quilt of Valor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-dad-gets-quilt-valor-t234176.html)

ManiacQuilter2 11-07-2013 08:48 AM

I have made over a dozen QOV but my best friend has made over 100. Give your Dad a hug from me whose Dad served in the South Pacific as a Marine. My Dad didn't talk at all about WWII either. Only when the TV show Baa Baa Black Sheep came out, he told me a little about the air operation with Pappy Boyington.

Skyangel 11-07-2013 08:49 AM

Thanks to your Dad for his service. My dad was also a WWII vet but has passed on. He didn't talk much about his time in the war, either, except I know he was on a submarine in the Pacific. He would be 90 this year if he was still living. I have made a couple of patriotic quilts donated through my guild to wounded vetrans at Fort Lewis in Washington state. It is a very small thing to show appreciation but it means a lot to them.

tessagin 11-07-2013 08:58 AM

Wow! Bet he enjoyed that!

cashs_mom 11-07-2013 03:19 PM

How wonderful! Thanks for the great picture.

quilts4charity 11-07-2013 03:21 PM

I've done many quilts for our soldiers and veterans, it's always an honor to do one of these!

just janet 11-07-2013 03:46 PM

That's a great picture. Please thank your Dad for his service. I've made QOV through a Quilt Club I belonged to and I also donate red, white and blue afghans through the Linus Program. It's the least we can do for the people who keep our Country free.

jcrow 11-07-2013 03:54 PM

My father would be 90 but he died 4 years ago. He was a Marine and served in the South Pacific, also. It's funny, he wouldn't talk about his time in the service either. I wonder why these great men didn't want to talk about serving their country? It must have been very hard on them.

CookyIN 11-07-2013 04:04 PM

How wonderful that your father was honored in this way. We can never, ever repay our veterans for their sacrifices and service, but a QOV is a great way to express our appreciation.

Tink's Mom 11-07-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 6392773)
My father would be 90 but he died 4 years ago. He was a Marine and served in the South Pacific, also. It's funny, he wouldn't talk about his time in the service either. I wonder why these great men didn't want to talk about serving their country? It must have been very hard on them.

My uncle just passed away a few months ago at age 89...he was a pilot flying bombers from England during WWII. He never talked about the war to his boys or anyone while we were growing up...it has only been the last 5 years that we have heard all about it. When his mind started to leave, his long term memory was the only thing that worked....so, we heard about his missions....and especially about the fact that he flew his bomber on Jimmy Stewarts wing on some missions.

momto5 11-07-2013 05:00 PM

I LA for American Hero Quilts...I have done ten in the past several months. They are much the same as the QOV program, and the ladies' quilts I have done have been gorgeous. (I'm on a little hiatus right now to take care of some (more) medical problems, but hopefully will be back at it soon...). Tell your Dad "thank you" for me as well!