Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Design Has Been Stolen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-design-has-been-stolen-t316796.html)

sewingpup 11-08-2021 12:49 PM

went to the website.....and it looks to me like the whole website looks a bit odd. I could not see where they are located although they said they ship to 200 plus countries from here and something about not paying the duty charges which you will owe? No listing for shipping prices...I dunno....I don't think I would order from them The website also has a copyright date of 2021.

Stitchnripper 11-08-2021 01:04 PM

Sort of related but I watched that Netflix series on LuLaRoe and if I remember some of their “designers” said they were told to find images on Google and then change a little something to avoid the copyright issue. I don’t think it always worked for them. Maybe these folks are using the same awful strategy

FoggyButFocused 11-08-2021 01:10 PM

@Watson The site uses Shopify. The Shopify agreement specially states that they cannot use copyrighted material. Shopify also has a DMCA form to fill out. I would hit them where it hurts - the pocketbook.

The site was created on September 18, 2021. The holder of the .com address states Iceland, although it seems like all that info could be faked. I would say this is a fake website trolling for credit card numbers.

Once again, good luck!

Rff1010 11-08-2021 01:46 PM

Rob Appel "Making it Fun" and "Man Sewing" I believe had something similar happen to one of his applique quilts - a guitar version I believe. Might be worth reaching out for some advice\ assistance.

I don't think it's likely a credit card scam - I think they will actually make you the thing off of someone else's intellectual property.

osewme 11-08-2021 04:24 PM

This is a terrible thing that has happened to you. I do hope you are able to get them to stop using your design & hopefully they will be fined or the whole site pulled from the internet & you will be compensated in some way. I don't know anything about copyrights but I do know right from wrong & this is just plain WRONG!

Iceblossom 11-08-2021 05:15 PM

I am at such a loss for words, especially when I know Watson when I see him!

virtual hugs and warm thoughts, wish there was more...

cashs_mom 11-08-2021 05:26 PM

I'm so sorry, Watson. I would definitely report them to shopify. I saw a couple other quilts that were made from patterns. Probably copyrighted patterns.

Jo Anne B. 11-08-2021 05:38 PM

Seems to be a rather recent website, gives me suspicions as well.
I looked at around didn't see a pic of your quilt Watson, maybe they took your comments seriously, Lets hope!!
I agree, probably a scam site. Jo

Peckish 11-08-2021 07:11 PM

This happens ALL.THE.TIME. Sometimes you get a printed fleece blanket, sometimes they just take your money and you get nothing. These websites are hosted offshore, so there's nothing that anyone can do legally other than inform their website hosting company and hope they take the site down. But that only stops them temporarily. It's happened to quilting giants in the industry such as Lisa Hagstotz (Calle), Ricky Tims, and a couple others whom I can't remember right off the top of my head. This is why I don't post pictures of my original designs on social media, although it's difficult to control what other people do with their pictures of my quilts.

sewbizgirl 11-08-2021 08:31 PM

Looks like they are ripping off a lot of designers. You won't be the only one sending "cease and desist" letters!