Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Duh moment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-duh-moment-t161301.html)

tallchick 10-18-2011 06:26 AM

I have been frustrated to death with trying to achieve the perfect 1/4 in seam, the 1/4 foot I have does not help at all so I finally decided to play with all the stitches on my machine and pull out the manual. Well they have a stitch marked Q that positions the needle with the regular foot for a perfect 1/4 in seam; after running several scrap pieces it indeed does exactly that; I could have saved myself lots of frustration if I just sat down and actually read the manual. And yes when I got the machine I did sit down and stitch every one that was on it; I just never paid any attention. When my new baby arrives today I will certainly sit down and make a cheat sheet, laminate it and keep it with me every time I sit down at it!!!

akrogirl 10-18-2011 06:43 AM

What make and model of machine do you have? That is very useful information that others may not be aware of either.

tallchick 10-18-2011 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
What make and model of machine do you have? That is very useful information that others may not be aware of either.

A while back I bought a Brother machine at Wally World it was marked down to 109.00 a Brother CE8080PRW with 80 stitches and about 6 made specifically for quilting. When I bought it, I had no idea I would get the quilting bug, it was more for crafts, clothes for the grand-kids etc..... .

MTS 10-18-2011 06:58 AM

Here's a nice visual if you're still in search of the elusive scant seam allowance:
http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2011/...t-14-inch.html

Deborahlees 10-18-2011 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick

A while back I bought a Brother machine at Wally World it was marked down to 109.00 a Brother CE8080PRW with 80 stitches and about 6 made specifically for quilting. When I bought it, I had no idea I would get the quilting bug, it was more for crafts, clothes for the grand-kids etc..... .

The quilting bug was hiding in the box, just waiting to jump out and bite you, but only after you got the machine home.

:lol:

wolph33 10-18-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees

The quilting bug was hiding in the box, just waiting to jump out and bite you, but only after you got the machine home.

:lol:

rotflol

QuiltnNan 10-18-2011 08:37 AM

hmmmm, i have a different brother from wally world. i haven't tried all of the stitches, either. guess i'd better sit down and try.

tallchick 10-18-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Here's a nice visual if you're still in search of the elusive scant seam allowance:
http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2011/...t-14-inch.html

Wow thank you sew much for that!! I will definitely try that one, I have the 1/4 in down on my brother, now I will try to achieve the scant on my new Janome that I have been playing with for the last 2 hrs.......

johanka 10-18-2011 09:12 AM

I have been frustrated to death with trying to achieve the perfect 1/4 in seam, the 1/4 foot I have does not help at all so I finally decided to play with all the stitches on my machine and pull out the manual. Well they have a stitch marked Q that positions the needle with the regular foot for a perfect 1/4 in seam; after running several scrap pieces it indeed does exactly that; I could have saved myself lots of frustration if I just sat down and actually read the manual. And yes when I got the machine I did sit down and stitch every one that was on it; I just never paid any attention. When my new baby arrives today I will certainly sit down and make a cheat sheet, laminate it and keep it with me every time I sit down at it!!!

I can understand that. My husband is going to be gone for a few days hunting and I am going to get my books out and "learn" to use my machine better. ")

Lady Crafter 10-18-2011 09:14 AM

Shhh!!! Don't say that too loudly. Its usually men that don't read instructions!