Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My experience with Glue Basting. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-experience-glue-basting-t195343.html)

megs0863 07-23-2012 05:06 PM

What about using a flat paint brush to glue baste? Would that work better? Just wondering. Thank you to all for posting this information as I have 3 quilt tops to finish and now I am feeling a little more enthusiastic about trying something new.

heidikins 07-23-2012 05:59 PM

There is nothing as good as Elmer's school glue in tiny drops to keep strips in place. No pins needed, and you don't get that dreaded shifting of bottom fabric. I made 20 large (banquet size) table runners for DS and DDIL's wedding and glued each and every one of them. DDIL wanted a quilt made out of the fabric so I didn't see myself sewing them up and then frogging them all. The glue worked wonderfully well and the best part......it washed right out! I highly recommend it for strips for nine patches or sashings too. I use a little plastic bottle and a metal tip that I found at our local art store. Just be sure to rinse the tip and bottle well when you are finished for the day.
Heidi

KathyKat 07-23-2012 06:33 PM

I tried the gluestick and didn't like it so now I'll try the Elmer's school glue. Thanks for posting!

ctipton 07-23-2012 06:42 PM

Thanks chicca for the info

jeanharville 07-23-2012 06:49 PM

I have enjoyed reading every post and am happy to learn so many timesaving tips. I just finished pinning on my first binding last night. But tomorrow, I'll be unpinning it and then will try this glue method. I can hardly wait to give it a try and I believe the binding will turn out much better. Thanks to all of you who offered additional tips and techniques.

HilaryK8 07-23-2012 06:59 PM

Double sided tape works really well too, and it's temporary. Line it up and peel it off when you're ready to iron.

Chicca 07-23-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by resource fabricologist (Post 5388233)
I have mentioned on QB before that I use Elmers washable school glue many times for glue basting. I use it for binding ( esp. curved), putting in zippers, mitered corners...you name it. Here's how to make a glue baster with a fine tip. Get a bottle of Elmers washable school glue and pry off the orange tip. There will be some white internal plastic "guts" sticking up from the bottle. Cut it off with a scissors. Next get a retractable "click" pencil with a nice narrow tip. Screw it off the pencil. Next slice a small amt off the top of the orange glue bottle tip...less than 1/4". Next push the pencil tip up through the orange cap so it come to a fine point. Now you have a nice glue bottle with a fine tip. I keep a pin in the tip when not using the glue. This gives you a nice fine even bead of glue when gluing. :O)

Oh it could easily have been you that I got the idea from to begin with. I really do not know where I had seen it, but sure am glad that I remembered it and gave it a try; thats for sure. I am definetely going to follow your instructions and make one. Thank you so much for sharing this information. I hope that everyone who has asked about the fine tips reads this and tries it also.

Chicca 07-23-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by carol45 (Post 5388235)
They said that they add just enough water so that it is thin enough to spray.

Well thank you, I got busy finishing my blocks and did not look it up. So definitely will be trying this with this quilt sandwhich.

Chicca 07-23-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by fran624 (Post 5388821)
Thanks for the great tip I've used the glue stick did't like it Also used Roxanne's glue baste it. Goiing to try this as Roxann's is much more expensive like $6 something a bottle. Boy this is much cheaper Also when I did glue never ironed just held it down a while. Again great tip Thanks
Frances

Holly toledoes....I had no clue that Roxannes was that expensive! I will stick with Elmers; much more in my budget. Did you read the post by resourcefabricologist above yours about making the fine tip? Another tip that was suggested was just to let it dry naturally; she did hers that way and really liked it. I am just so amazed and really in awe over the wonderful tips and uses that everyone has contributed.

Chicca 07-23-2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by megs0863 (Post 5388856)
What about using a flat paint brush to glue baste? Would that work better? Just wondering. Thank you to all for posting this information as I have 3 quilt tops to finish and now I am feeling a little more enthusiastic about trying something new.

If I am remembering correctly, on a blog about quilt art, seems someone did use a paint brush. But, if I did not; I think it would be a great way to spread the glue evenly and smoothly. Have a great time with the quilt tops. Whenever I am excited about something, the energy just sparks and viola...it is complete.