Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first attempt at Back Basting Applique (BBA) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-attempt-back-basting-applique-bba-t248194.html)

nanna-up-north 06-09-2014 03:25 PM

My first attempt at Back Basting Applique (BBA)

1 Attachment(s)
I love the look of applique, have made quite a few items with applique but had never heard of BBA until last week. I googled BBA and it sounded pretty interesting. I once took a class on needle turn applique but really didn't have much luck with that. Instead, I adapted a method using freezer paper and fabric glue. There are several examples of that method in my album. So when I read about BBA on QB, I said I'd try this over the weekend.

Well, BBA has some good points. There isn't any glue residue to wash away. It is easier to get small pieces into the right shape and, basting really keeps everything stable.

And, BBA gave me some challenges as well. The biggest problem I had was trying to draw the lines on dark fabric. To make this giraffe, I appliqued the tan spots to the blue fabric first. I had penciled the lines on the back of the blue. But, when I was ready to applique the giraffe onto the brown fabric, I couldn't find anything that would show up. Other people had mentioned using Frixion pens but I had only a yellow one. The ink seemed to fade into the fabric. I couldn't see it at all. I had a white marking pen but that didn't work well and I couldn't get a fine clear line. I need a fine line for this kind of work.

It took me longer to do this than it would have taken using my freezer paper and glue method. But, that may be due to the fact that I've never done this before. All in all, it wasn't so bad.... it's a lot like needle turn.

So, I'm ready for your criticisms, and, or suggestions. I'm planning on making 3 more giraffe's, one for each quadrant of the 30" x 30" center piece. Please, give me your honest suggestions. I really want this to work out because I'm wanting to start the little brown bird quilt soon and I need to really be able to do some awesome applique.

ps: I drew on the eyes and nostrils with my pigma pen.

carolynjo 06-09-2014 04:14 PM

Use a sliver of soap; it might show up better.

Judith1005 06-09-2014 04:20 PM

That's what I use also. A sliver of soap on dark fabrics.

SewExtremeSeams 06-09-2014 04:22 PM

It's darling!

nanna-up-north 06-09-2014 04:43 PM

I'll try that. Does it last or do you have put it on often?

And thanks for the compliment, Linda.

soccertxi 06-10-2014 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the soap idea. Is this your design? Our son and DDinlaw just told us that their theme for the baby's room is giraffes!
I love this one! I really like to back baste too, but have only used a light background so far. There are a few choices I have in my sewing room for marking on dark fabric. I usually use a chalk wheel but that is for machine quilting and does not last long. I also have Sewline brand mechanical pencil, You can get diff color 'lead' for it. Pretty small line. I also have a holder that takes soapstone or graphite. The soapstone is about the diameter of school chalk, but you sharpen it. The graphite is thinner. When you load it, you tighten it like you would a drill bit in a drill. I will see if I can get a picture of it. No company name anywhere to be found on it.

Onebyone 06-10-2014 07:15 AM

I have used the liquid paper pen to mark on dark patterned fabric. It great for leaving dots instead of lines, the end pushes in and out. It washed out and so far no damage and it's been years since I made the quilt. I don't worry about it and would use it again.

MarLeClair 06-10-2014 12:11 PM

I use a Bohin mechanical pencil which holds white chalk (the thickness of lead). It is the only marking method that works for me. Fons and Porter also has a marking pen but I always go back to the Bohin.

MarLeClair 06-10-2014 12:14 PM

Forgot to Say your applique looks good. The only way to get better is practice.

nanna-up-north 06-14-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi (Post 6752708)
I like the soap idea. Is this your design? Our son and DDinlaw just told us that their theme for the baby's room is giraffes!
I love this one! I really like to back baste too, but have only used a light background so far. There are a few choices I have in my sewing room for marking on dark fabric. I usually use a chalk wheel but that is for machine quilting and does not last long. I also have Sewline brand mechanical pencil, You can get diff color 'lead' for it. Pretty small line. I also have a holder that takes soapstone or graphite. The soapstone is about the diameter of school chalk, but you sharpen it. The graphite is thinner. When you load it, you tighten it like you would a drill bit in a drill. I will see if I can get a picture of it. No company name anywhere to be found on it.

Thanks for the info. This is sort of my design. I found a gift bag that had a giraffe on it so I traced the head and the body and then extended the neck to fit my space. If you'd like I could take a picture of the tracing and post it. Then, if you print it you could expand it to fit your space.