Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first Downy quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-downy-quilt-t95269.html)

almostfree 01-30-2011 12:08 PM

I just signed up to receive my first Downy quilt kit. I am so excited, that I just had to share. I have never done a quilt for charity before, and since I'm a newbie I hope I'll be able to do it well enough. The only think I'm worried about is the machine quilting. Hope they're not too picky! Wish me luck!

danece 01-30-2011 01:05 PM

I too have signed up for the Downy program, and I feel that they will be happy with anything as long as you follow their rules and requirements :D i have done quilts for charities before and they really do need them, there are a lot of kids out there that would love all of us to donate more than one, it really is a quick quilt project

grandmacam 01-30-2011 04:57 PM

Could you tell me how to sign up for making a Downy quilt? I would love to do one for charity. Don't know anything about it.

karenchi 01-30-2011 04:58 PM

Go to.....www.quiltsforkids.com

I belong and it is a great organization.

karenchi 01-30-2011 05:00 PM

You will love this charity. I belong to it also.
You can do a quilt in about a day. The pattern is a 9-patch.
The only thing they require is that the backing be flipped over for the binding and stitched real well.

grandmacam 01-30-2011 05:10 PM

Thanks for the info.

MommaDorian 01-30-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by karenchi
The only thing they require is that the backing be flipped over for the binding and stitched real well.

I didn't realize they couldn't have seperate bindings.

5moose 01-30-2011 08:43 PM

They can have a binding on them. They just don't provide that fabric but you can use any in your stash if you choose to do a binding. I have donated 44 quilts to this great charity and never have had one rejected.

amma 01-30-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Originally Posted by karenchi

I didn't realize they couldn't have seperate bindings.

They can have regular binding, as long as it is sewn down well. They just don't want loose edges that can catch on medical equipment :wink:

amma 01-30-2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by almostfree
I just signed up to receive my first Downy quilt kit. I am so excited, that I just had to share. I have never done a quilt for charity before, and since I'm a newbie I hope I'll be able to do it well enough. The only think I'm worried about is the machine quilting. Hope they're not too picky! Wish me luck!

Simple quilting is fine on these quilts. SID or diagonal, what ever you feel comfortable doing :D:D:D

All they ask is that they are quilted fairly well, as these will get a lot of laundering :D:D:D