Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My First Quilt - Fabric, Patterns, and Tools! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-quilt-fabric-patterns-tools-t296929.html)

amyjo 05-18-2018 08:07 PM

I consider myself an advanced quilted but I would definitely not make one of those if I was a beginner. That’s a good way to end up throwing the whole thing out when you start getting frustrated. Pretty fabrics but I’d pick an easy pattern to start with.

pandamommy 05-19-2018 12:21 PM

I did a quick look at the link you posted to the quilt on Pintrest. It would be a nice pattern to begin with and would be very easy to enlarge to make the size of quilt you desire. In the picture it looks like the middle rows have 7 squares in each of them. After the first row of 7 squares then the next row add 2 squares. Do this until you have the size diagonally you want and then start decreasing 2 squares each row. You have received some excellent tips. to add my 2 cents worth is: 1. There are no quilt police, no matter what anyone tries to tell you! It is your quilt do it your way. 2. There are many ways and techniques to accomplish the same thing. Experiment and do they way you find easiest. 3. Enjoy and there tons of How to videos, but me careful you can spend all your time watching them! LOL!

PamelaOry 05-19-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 8058235)
I starch everything I'm going to work with. I thread baste my sandwiches, I absolutely HATE pin basting, I like spray basting, but don't like the cost, fumes and the mess with the overspray. A table for the machine won't really help with the extra room you need, sewing clothing and such isn't the same as wrestling with a quilt in the same space.

So true! I just finished my first bed sized quilt and once I was putting the last rows together it was kicking my arse. I had originally thought I would quilt it myself but ha! I sent that baby out to a long armer. I had to have my husband help hold it to get the binding on.

I strongly suggest making a pillow, Tablerunner, or other small item from your selected pattern first.

i have done a few Missouri star projects and have had good luck following Jenny Doens instructions. This board is a wonderful place to get help and encouragement, welcome!

gacountrygurl 05-28-2018 12:12 PM

I have my first quilting class booked for the 9th and I am so excited!!!! Now to get my machine out of the box and get her all cleaned up and some thread run through her before I head to the class!

bearisgray 05-28-2018 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by gacountrygurl (Post 8066337)
I have my first quilting class booked for the 9th and I am so excited!!!! Now to get my machine out of the box and get her all cleaned up and some thread run through her before I head to the class!

It will make the class a lot pleasanter for you, your classmates, and your instructor if your machine is "up and running" and you are somewhat proficient at using it before you start the class.

A class is a good place to start - enjoy it!

themadpatter 05-29-2018 05:06 PM

I want to add that my favorite seam ripper is the white clover ones they sell in the quilting aisle in fabric stores. Super sharp and a thin, little head that is easy to get into seams with tiny stitches.
Keep us posted on your journey. I don't know if you realized it or not, but there are a lot of people interested in your progress. We're following behind you making a human emergency net, ready when you need us. ;)

gacountrygurl 06-22-2018 09:52 AM

Hello again ladies!!!! I finished my second quilting class yesterday, and have two quilts I am working on. I am doing a lattice style quilt today, and am so excited!!!! I love the colors and design! I am sewing on the borders today!

On the second quilt I will be making 9 squares today as well.

I have learned so much from both classes! I am so excited to get these quilts finished and start on the next!

gacountrygurl 06-22-2018 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the lay out!

SuziSew 06-23-2018 08:03 AM

That is looking great! A bit of a challenge to put it on point but still manageable. Can't wait to see the flimsy!

jcrow 06-23-2018 08:50 AM

Jenny Doan has a beautiful quilt to make that is very easy. It’s called ‘Square in a square’ and uses a charm pack with a matching jelly roll. You might like using precuts for your first attempt. I made this quilt for my MIL and it fits her queen size bed. It was so pretty when I finished it that I thought about keeping it for myself at first. It goes together fast. You can buy jelly rolls, 42 2 1/2”-strips of fabric from a line of fabric, and charm packs, 42 5”-square fabric pieces from a line of fabric at most quilt shops. Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a HUGE selection. By buying precuts, most of the cutting is already done for you and you can get to sewing your quilt. Welcome to The Quiting Board. I’ve learned so much from the guys and gals here.