Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-traditional-quilt-not-going-so-well-frustrated-t80653.html)

Somerset Val 12-05-2010 06:21 AM

I've been there, done that! Have you thought of marking your ruler with a strip of day-glo tape so that you don't make the mistake of cutting the wrong measurement? Most quilting shops sell it.

clem55 12-05-2010 06:23 AM

Yesterday I was working on something quite simple, and I spent several hours ripping out.

OmaForFour 12-05-2010 07:32 AM

Are you using a 1/4 seam guide type foot on your machine to help you be more accurate? Go to Missouri Star Company Tutorials and see if they have one that will help. They have gazillions.

Dixieldy 12-05-2010 07:36 AM

I feel your pain hon. Been there so many times and trust me, after 7 years I still have those days. Sometimes I think this is what made me more patient though, having to rip out. Things will get better. Give it a rest and get back in there. It can only get better right?

etheriot 12-05-2010 08:19 AM

My sister said the first thing she learned to do well when I was teaching her to quilt was RIP IT. LOL. One thing I know from past experience is that you never change rulers when you start a project. That can make a big difference in the size of your squares. Hope today is a better day for you.

Liz in Southeast Texas

GloBug 12-05-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
You are so wise to walk away when things are not going well. That is a hard lesson to learn, but a valuable one..whether quilting or some other life activity...

I agree, Also venting makes a big differance and we have the perfect outlet here. :-o

sewingsuz 12-05-2010 08:23 AM

I feel bad for you. It is so frustrating sometimes. I have been there also. You learn somthing new with each and every project. Hang in there and I hope it is going lots better now or when you get back to it. Did you think of it a million times while you were trying to rest? It keeps me awake.

campion 12-05-2010 08:25 AM

Took me about 7 years to finish my first big quilt,king size and all hand pieced,also hand quilted so don't give up now!!!!

pheasantduster 12-05-2010 08:28 AM

That what this site is for - to listen and understand. Quilting a new pattern will give you so much satisfaction. and It says in the Bible -" those who sew, so shall you rip!"

Dina 12-05-2010 08:41 AM

Thanks, everyone. I feel much better this morning. I just fixed the squares I cut wrong, and decided I was glad I had made them too large and not too small.

I can even see how I cut them wrong now.

What I had to rip out is also all fixed now, and I am on to new blocks. And I have learned how to make quarter triangle squares. That was new to me. So....learning and growing...that is what it is all about, right?

Sew on!