Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first trip home to America as a quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-trip-home-america-quilter-t126187.html)

Sienna's GiGi 05-27-2011 08:09 PM

I am going on leave in two weeks for two weeks and I am so excited. I can't wait to see my granddaughter Sienna because I haven't seen her since she was 7 months. She's now 2. I am also giddy because I have never been to a quilt shop in the U.S. Oh, I've seen pictures, I read the stories and I shop for stuff online so I just know that I am in for a treat when I go home. I have been so caught up in the European experience that I never gave thought about coming home to do anything other then see my little Si-Si until I became a quilter. Now I feel as if I am missing out on the ultimate experience. I have never been to a quilt-in, took classes, mingled with like minded people, do a shop hop in person, trade blocks, belong to a guild, visited other quilters, see a real stash etc. Have you ever tried buying sewing furniture, fabric and notions in Germany? There is a little here and a little there but not much for quilters to really get into it. I am going to my first quilt festival in Columbus, OH in a little over two weeks. Please quilters answer this: If you were in my shoes what as a quilter I MUST see and do in Atlanta and Columbus? ~Erika.

raedar63 05-27-2011 08:23 PM

quilt festival in Columbus, OH " I live an hour away and had no idea about this. Hope I am not working ,I will be on pins and needles waiting for my schedule to come out!

I have not been but I hear the glass thimble in columbus is great!

Charming 05-27-2011 08:27 PM

I don't really know about OH quilt shops but from the way you described the supply in Germany i think you will have a blast visiting any quilt shop here and especially if the area you are going to in OH has a super Joann's.....then you are doomed.
Make sure don't bring a lot of clothing for your stay so you can fill your bags with quilting stuff...just saying :D
Enjoy your stay and the baby

Sienna's GiGi 05-27-2011 08:41 PM

The festival is from the 16-18 June. Maybe you can come and we could meet. Lunch will be on me.

Sienna's GiGi 05-27-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
quilt festival in Columbus, OH " I live an hour away and had no idea about this. Hope I am not working ,I will be on pins and needles waiting for my schedule to come out!

I have not been but I hear the glass thimble in columbus is great!

Oops! posted in the wrong place. The festival is from the 16-18 June. Maybe you can come and we could meet. Lunch will be on me.

alikat110 05-27-2011 08:55 PM

Bring an empty suitcase to fill with all the goodies you get to buy!!!!

Grambi 05-27-2011 08:58 PM

What a fun experience you'll have. I wish I could be there to have lunch with you! Have a safe trip and try to stop hugging that Grandbaby of yours long enough to get to the quilt festival.

Sienna's GiGi 05-27-2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
What a fun experience you'll have. I wish I could be there to have lunch with you! Have a safe trip and try to stop hugging that Grandbaby of yours long enough to get to the quilt festival.

Thanks! I'm hoping to plant the quilting seeds in Sienna as early as possible.

Qbee 05-27-2011 09:29 PM

I agree and HAVE FUN!! :D

Originally Posted by alikat110
Bring an empty suitcase to fill with all the goodies you get to buy!!!!

C.Cal Quilt Girl 05-27-2011 10:21 PM

Woo Hoo.... Excited for you, Babies and Shopping sounds like fun !! Have no clue where the best and most reasonable priced goodies are but Ohio is a hub of Quilting, so someone on QB should know. Have a Great Trip !!