Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Godzilla motor adventure (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-godzilla-motor-adventure-t161837.html)

Caroline S 10-20-2011 06:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I decided that I would take apart the motor that was on my 66-18 "Godzilla" to give an overall inspection. It should not be that hard. Right? Well now it all apart. All the little parts are in labeled baggies. After looking at it's innards I realized that I just did not know what I was looking at and what I should be looking for. So I wimped out and called my brother in South Carolina and asked him if I sent him the motor could he check out the motor and reassemble it if it was in OK shape. Lucky for me he is an expert in that sort of thing. I figured that even with the shipping costs involved he would work cheaper (free!) than buying an original replacement even if that were possible.

I think I will stick with quilting and cleaning :oops:

Motor off the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274293[/ATTACH]

Motor in pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274294[/ATTACH]

ptquilts 10-20-2011 06:19 AM

wow, you are braver than me!!

kraftykimberly 10-20-2011 07:47 AM

Yep, you are one brave soul.

QuiltnNan 10-20-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
wow, you are braver than me!!

ditto

Country1 10-20-2011 12:05 PM

Sounds like something I'd do. Ain't it great having mechanicilly inclined family members! :thumbup:

Caroline S 10-20-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Country1
Sounds like something I'd do. Ain't it great having mechanicilly inclined family members! :thumbup:

You are so right. I am usually so good with mechanical things but the motor was a bit overwhelming. It is good to learn something new but the motor was a bit out of my league.

calla 10-21-2011 04:33 PM

Whats the worst that can happen? It was unpluged and she has a brother.......hee hee.......calla

Lostn51 10-21-2011 04:42 PM

LOL I can not tell you haw many times I have had one of those that far apart to replace the bushings and brushes that have worn through the years. Luckily I still have some new motors from that era still in the boxes somewhere in my garage in all of the parts I have in there. But I need to send a box full to be rebuilt so I have plenty for the next machine that might come through needing one.

Can you tell I am ready to go back to work refurbishing sewing machines! :D

Billy

wvdek 10-21-2011 06:53 PM

I'm one of those that would take it apart and redo it.

Heck, used to take my bicycle apart and work on it, the lawnmower if it wasn't right (my dad was a mechanic and he would just smile), clean my own guns, rewire lamps, fix the vacuum, etc. Heck, last year I put new brakes on the left rear and DH put em on the right rear of my SUV.

Of course, if and when I get into trouble, I used to call dad now I ask DH to help, especially when this computer gives me fits. Yep, good to have relatives who can help.

Caroline S 10-21-2011 09:08 PM

[quote=Lostn51]LOL I can not tell you haw many times I have had one of those that far apart to replace the bushings and brushes that have worn through the years. Luckily I still have some new motors from that era still in the boxes somewhere in my garage in all of the parts I have in there. But I need to send a box full to be rebuilt so I have plenty for the next machine that might come through needing one.

Can you tell I am ready to go back to work refurbishing sewing machines! :D

Way to go Billy :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sounds like you are feeling better.