Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My gold has turned green! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-gold-has-turned-green-t265964.html)

Leslie333 06-03-2015 05:35 PM

I had no idea the metallic washes away! I'll make a note to avoid using any. I know I have a few in my stash, but won't add any more.

bearisgray 06-03-2015 06:23 PM

If washed gently and dried gently, the gold stays on for quite a while.

illinois 06-04-2015 03:37 AM

I love metallics. They literally add sparkle to the piece! I've used a lot of the silver and have had no problem, even on quilts for my grandchildren and those get laundered routinely. All that I've used have come from WalMart or JoAnn's over the years. They may not look as good as the original but they seem to have stood up as well as the other dyes.

Weezy Rider 06-04-2015 05:05 AM

Some of the older fabric with metallic does keep for quite a while. I have a jacket with crazy quilting using some of the earliest fabrics (over 20 years ago) with metallic. The gold on the fabric is OK, the metallic Sulky embroidery thread changed!

I also decorated my own fabric with Pfaff Maxi stitches on a 1475 since there wasn't much of the gold highlighted fabric available at the time.

MaggieLou 06-04-2015 05:06 AM

It's not unusual to have gold turn green. I've had it happen on several fabrics.

ShowMama 06-04-2015 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Evie (Post 7215631)
One of my first quilts was made from a kit containing lovely name-brand, Asian-themed fabric. Gold metallic "ink" was featured in most of the printed fabrics. Now, after several washings most of the gold is gone and on one fabric it has turned a greenish "patina"! Has this happened to anyone else? The photo shows the worst of it.

Yes, I have had this happen once before. I used a gold metallic on white on a set of pillowcases. It was the decorative flange piece between the cuff and the body of the pillowcase. After a couple of washings that piece turned green. I tried all kinds of stain removers but nothing worked. It was almost as if the metallic part corroded

Evie 06-04-2015 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 7215772)
I suppose it's possible that the gold turned green, but are you sure that's what happened, and it's not a different green fabric that bled onto your quilt?

Sue, no green in this quilt. And I cannot definitively say it is the gold that caused it, but seems suspiciously so. This is one of my couch "cuddle" quilts and has been washed several times. I'm not really concerned about how it looks, just totally curious as to what could have caused the discoloration. I'm not stressing over it, but it has put me on alert as to other metallic prints.

ManiacQuilter2 06-04-2015 01:50 PM

I have never seen it turn a fabric green. Good Luck.

lovingLakeMich 06-05-2015 04:53 AM

Is this the only piece of the fabric that turned green? If so, I am wondering if a stain remover or direct concentration of detergent is responsible. I can't tell if your background color is brown or black but if it wasn't colorfast, it could still be bleed through.

coopah 06-05-2015 05:06 AM

Because of the closeness, I'm thinking the black bled more than the gold discolored. I've had blacks bleed and the area where it bled was not grey or black but more of a greenish cast.