Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My husband just doesn't understand. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-husband-just-doesnt-understand-t159846.html)

Jan in VA 10-12-2011 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
tell him that asking a quilter to patch is like asking Picasso to paint your garage!

Amen!
My personal favorite quote. :D

Jan in VA

Rose L 10-12-2011 07:53 AM

Ach! DH is a farmer and he would give me grocery sacks full of jeans that needed patching when we first met. So I patched. And patched. Finally it got to the point where the jeans were tearing out along the seam lines where I had sewn the patches on. The jeans were just plain rotten. Why, I had to finally put my foot down! Now I only patch small tears in newer jeans. If they need to be re-built from the pockets down, well they become grease rags around here now. I'd do darn near anything for my DH but there are limits on how long a pair of jeans will last. He still tries to get me to patch sometimes, bless his heart but I stand my ground on this issue, lol!

lee_stitches 10-12-2011 08:15 AM

Totally agree with all of you. I hate to patch also. The last thing I patched for my DS, I put a quilt label I had messed up over the hole. He looked at me a little strangely and laughed.

Katia 10-12-2011 08:26 AM

I normally don't patch. I also avoid most mending, just hate it. But I did fix some zippers for my daughter because she begged. I would rather start fresh and make something new then fix a zipper, but she loved the skirts so I did it for her. Then the other day y husband brought home some mending for a gal at his work. Nothing hard to do, just a hem and a couple of seams, but still. She was shocked at what the cleaners wanted to fix them. I told him, ok, this time, but don't do it again. We'll see how that works out.

lfw045 10-12-2011 08:27 AM

Patching is an art. The trick is to patch and you can't tell it.... :^) It is all in how you look at it I guess.

QuiltnNan 10-12-2011 08:31 AM

i only do easy patches. rather be doing other things

buslady 10-12-2011 08:36 AM

My dgd brought a bag of stuff over to be patched. I showed her how. I HATE to repair. DGS sent a pair of shorts he needed fixed, I went to the clearance isle at WalMart and bought him a pair for $3. As soon as anyone finds out you sew, they think you will fix their stuff. NOT!!

YolandaW 10-12-2011 08:41 AM

Patching is against my religion, just as ironing clothes is but quilt sewing is another denomination.

katsbmr 10-12-2011 08:45 AM

Tell him it is kinda like my husband....who restores old cars/trucks and loves every minute of it, but hates it when my father asks him to change the oil in a lawnmower. Put it in their terms, and they will understand.

Sadiemae 10-12-2011 08:52 AM

If he wants them patched, he is welcome to do it!!! My late DH used to darn his socks, another job I would not do.