Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Latest Find....Singer 327 in a cabinet-1964 Model. Anyone else have one of these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-latest-find-singer-327-cabinet-1964-model-anyone-else-have-one-these-t177338.html)

Mitch's mom 01-29-2013 05:17 PM

Use it until one of the drive belts- not the motor belt - breaks. I believe the machine has 2 belts inside, one for the hook and one for the needle bar. As long as it is sewing good and you are happy that is all that matters. If it goes bonky on you don't put any money into it. Put another Singer in the cabinet and move on.

sewplease 01-29-2013 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS (Post 4928633)
Thanks. :) I think she quite pretty. ;) Not sure what to name her. Ethel-is my Featherweight, my 46' Kenmore is-Aunt Gwen, 1940's Singer is-Pretty, 1957 Singer 99K-Baby. (My Mom suggested Ol Blue)

Whatever you name her, I'm just glad she's going to have lots of new "friends" lol. :-)

smithsenfield 04-30-2017 11:42 AM

The Venerable 327 only has one belt

Two 327s have passed through my hands, and I just fixed a third one up for my own use. This utilitarian machine only has one drive belt typical of the 15 and 66. The 327's belt is under a cover. It's drive train is steel bevel gears, and its hook is oscillating.

This machine is powerful and reasonably quiet when adjusted properly. It makes a good stitch. Being a straight down, short shank machine its needle can zigzag through thick church quilt corners that would deflect the needle on my slant 401a to hit the throat plate.

The 327 also has the distinction of being one of the last Singers to take a treadle belt, and I may try that out soon.

It is a great machine for 99% of my sewing jobs. If you chance across one of these green beauties, buy it. You will be glad you did.

bkay 04-30-2017 02:14 PM

I, too, had one. I liked it. It cleaned up beautifully. Mine wasn't a banger. I gave it to one of my employees for his mother. She wanted a machine and I felt like it was a good one. I found a full set of cams on shopgoodwill.com shortly after I bought it. I didn't gift the cams, though, in case I get another 327.

bkay

smithsenfield 04-30-2017 03:06 PM

The 328 is the one with the cams

All the 327 does is straight and zigzag. The 328 is the machine that takes the cams. They are stablemates. Oddly, if you look up the serial number on a 327, it will be listed as a 328. The eBay seller for my latest 327 called it a 328 for this reason despite the "327" printed on the stitch plate. And 328s are a tan color with a door for the cams.

The repair manual is the same one for these two. Some adjustments are slightly different between them. This latest 327 was skipping the right hand stitch in zigzag. The issue was too much clearance between needle and hook. The zigzag width had to be increased too. The manual costs a few bucks but comes in handy!

Oh, for you Tri-Flow fans, this machine came to me with no bottom cover, full of maple leaves and seeds like it had been tossed into a pile of leaves last fall. It turned, but with resistance and a gritty noise. I had to blow out the insides with an air compressor gun. "Oops" and a little bottle brush helped get the old grease and gunk out of the gears. And Tri-Flow freed up the shafts and cams. Great stuff that Tri-Flow.

Don't you wonder how many fine old machines like these are thought useless and thrown out for want of a little loving attention? It is nice to read postings on this site and see that there are so many nice people rescuing them.

sewbizgirl 04-30-2017 03:18 PM

She's a real looker! You found a nice one... enjoy!