Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My longarm arrives on Friday...yeah!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-longarm-arrives-friday-yeah-t231273.html)

cmmcbride 09-28-2013 06:05 AM

My longarm arrives on Friday...yeah!!!

I did a bit of research before I purchased a Handi Quilter Avante with a 12 foot frame. Sooo very excited. I have spent the last week watching every video I could get my hands on to further my longarm experience. Thanks to many of you for posting your thoughts & experiences with longarm machines on this board. I read so many posts that helped me to clarify & zone in on what was important to me as a quilter and future longarmer (is that a word?). I will say that cost ($9,200.00 no tax, no shipping fees), space (to house the machine), machine reviews, local support (I live an hour away from the nearest city) and financing (60 month no interest) were deciding factors. Anyway, will continue to educate myself on my new machine & longarm quilting. Any suggestions on longarm sites/blogs? Happy quilting...

Christina

Tartan 09-28-2013 06:25 AM

Congratulations on your new machine! I don't have one so I don't have any tips.:(

mighty 09-28-2013 06:40 AM

congrats!!!! Enjoy!!!

cindi 09-28-2013 06:50 AM

Green Fairy Quilts blog. Her stuff is amazing, and she has videos, too. My only advice is put on big sandwich of muslin and practice, practice, practice!! Free-motion your name over and over to really get the hang of the way your machine moves. That was the best tip I ever got!

cmmcbride 09-28-2013 08:46 AM

Thank you Cindi. I will look at the Green Fairy Quilts blog today.

Nilla 09-28-2013 11:05 AM

Congratulations! The Avante seems like a really nice machine. I hope you have many wonderful days of quilting with it.

Luv Quilts and Cats 09-28-2013 01:53 PM

Congratulations! At the International Quilt Show here in Manchester, NH last month I saw a mid-arm sit down quilter. I think it's called mid-arm. Anyway, I drooled. I have trouble standing for long periods of time so a long arm didn't interest me. Plus the size, cost and space needed. Anyway, now that I saw the mid-arm.....well, I can dream anyway. I just love what people are doing with thread today and thread painting. It's just so beautiful.

DogHouseMom 09-28-2013 01:57 PM

Congrats Christina!! I too will have a long arm tomorrow!

cmmcbride 09-28-2013 02:38 PM

Yeah for you too DogHouseMom. How fun & exciting for us. Never thought I would enter the arena of longarm but yet here I am...soon to be a proud owner. Can't wait to get started...

cmmcbride 09-28-2013 02:46 PM

Hi Luv Quilts and Cats, I was at a quilting show a few weeks ago when I saw the Babylock Tiara which is a sit down long arm machine. Almost bought it on site as I have been doing FMQ on my domestic machine & the Tiara had so much more room to offer in the way of space. But then I decided to think on it and decided I really wanted a longarm with a frame...just seemed to meet my current & future needs better. Anyway, hope a mid arm or sit down longarm are in your future. Happy quilting!