Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my lqs is closing, and "my" bernina is on layaway there..help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-lqs-closing-my-bernina-layaway-there-help-t189675.html)

barny 05-22-2012 07:18 AM

Imho I would probably ask for my money back. That way, if I had any problems in the future, I would have someone to hold responsible. If they are going out of business, you have paid an awful lot and no help. When this store owner goes out of business, SHE IS OUT.

twoxover 05-22-2012 07:54 AM

well-to follow up--i just got back from stopping in at the shop that is closing. she offerred to take 250-off, but went on to say that she could make more selling it on ebay after she closes. she told me she would give me the classes before she closed, but that "its a bernina, take it to a bernina dealer for service"...stating the store in delaware nad the one in burlington city. i asked if she had made arrangements, ie given them a heads up and "NO" was the answer.

I asked for a full refund, which she agreed too, but then stated i would have to wait until next tuesday when her bookkeeper was in.

sooooo, viking or pfaff?? i have a viking 350 (their intro to computerized machines about 15 years ago)--will my walking foot for that machine work on a saphire?

Hinterland 05-22-2012 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by twoxover (Post 5234876)
sooooo, viking or pfaff?? i have a viking 350 (their intro to computerized machines about 15 years ago)--will my walking foot for that machine work on a saphire?

I would test drive the Sapphire before you buy it. I traded in a Viking Lily (I loved that machine!) for a Sapphire when they first came out. The feet may or may not have been compatible, but I had so many problems fmq that I ended up buying new feet just to be sure they weren't the source of the trouble.

I understand they've improved the Sapphire in the years since, so your mileage may vary. Just make sure you have a good dealer behind you. I did not, which is why I have the Bernina.

Janet

BellaBoo 05-22-2012 08:07 AM

With a dealer like that it's good she is going out of business. Her remark about selling on Ebay was way out of line to say to a customer not to mention the fact she she is acting like her going out of business excuses her from her customer obligations.

franc36 05-22-2012 09:27 AM

I purchased my Bernina in one state and later moved to another. I have had no problems with the dealer here servicing my machine. I took my lessons with the dealer who sold me the machine. If the machine was not purchased from him, you had to pay for the lessons.

Skyangel 05-22-2012 09:49 AM

It was probably a reasonable offer to take $250 off and give you the classes before she closes. I bought my 440 used from a private party and paid to take the classes. My local Bernina dealer offers an adoption package for $250 for all the classes and servicing for one year. I've done that twice, once for the 440 and once for my 1300 serger and it was well worth it. You might give the other dealers a call. It might be possible to arrange an appointment to have it serviced while you wait so you don't drive an hour away twice. I love my Berninas ...

romanojg 05-22-2012 09:55 AM

[
sooooo, viking or pfaff?? i have a viking 350 (their intro to computerized machines about 15 years ago)--will my walking foot for that machine work on a saphire?[/QUOTE]

Most of the feet should work. I bought a Ruby and I had already had the Viking #1 and all of the feet fit on the Ruby. There is quite a bit of age difference between the two. Good luck. I think you made a good choice.

twoxover 05-22-2012 02:25 PM

here is a quick follow up...I did call Hubby and tell him what transpired. He did not like the "wait a week for a refund"...and decided to stop in there on his way home. in his words "all i did was say, Laurie, can we talk about Betsey's Machine (i think in his mind, he wanted to bring it home) and she started yelling at him". Long story short, i have a check from her in my hands.

mea12 05-22-2012 02:59 PM

WOW. it may be a blessing in disguise even if she had not closed up shop! i bought last month from a closing dealer and we were provided with "certificates" to our dealer of choice for classes and the one-year free cleaning. I think the new dealer needs to be paid for the classes and they must work that out between themselves. Its always to the new dealer's advantage to treat the new customer well for obvious reasons. This is all moot for you now!! Take a look at the Pfaff Ambition 1.0 and 1.5...they are loaded with features...great bang for the buck...lovely stitches and only lack a thread-cutter. So far, lots of rave reviews on that one.

linynp 05-23-2012 03:26 AM

Ask the other dealers if they'd honor your warranty work and classes from the other closing store. Also this could give you an opportunity to deal the price down farther.