Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Martelli mat arrived! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-martelli-mat-arrived-t295925.html)

Prism99 04-02-2018 03:35 PM

My Martelli mat arrived!

I like the purple side, so that is the side I have up. Looks like the yellow side is thicker, though. I haven't cut on the mat yet.

Just for fun, I pulled out my Olfa rotating mat and small Quilter's Select mat to compare the surfaces. Took a starched square of fabric and put my hand on top to see how much it moved on each mat. It barely moved at all on the Olfa mat, but moved quite easily on the QS mat. The Martelli was in-between; a little bit of grab, but not as much as the Olfa. I often have difficulty with either the fabric or the ruler moving on me while cutting, which is why I try to use my Slidelock whenever possible. Seems to me that the QD, being the slipperiest mat, would be the most difficult for me to use for long cuts. It does work great for smaller cuts, though; I have pulled it out for that purpose in the past.

At any rate, I think all three mats are way better than my old mat, which is quite rough in comparison. It was a no-brand name mat that came with my cutting table 20 or so years ago and I'm not sure what it is made of. I think it has made cutting harder on my hand lately, not to mention having to avoid some of the spots with too many cuts in the mat, so I am looking forward to trying out the Martelli for long cuts (once I get further along with my current quilt). I'm hoping I won't have to press as hard.

Tiggersmom 04-02-2018 04:48 PM

Please post your results! I have 4 Olfa mats and couldn't justify buying the Martelli even when they were 50% off. :eek:

I Love their cutters and have several. :D

DeneK 04-02-2018 07:17 PM

I love my Martelli mat. Waited for the sale because I wanted the largest one.

jmoore 04-03-2018 02:24 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered the large one...mine hasn’t arrived yet but will anxious to try it out when it comes.

QuiltnNan 04-03-2018 02:26 AM

thanks for posting the comparisons

lindaschipper 04-03-2018 03:44 AM

I have the Martelli rotating mat and love it. But my cutting table has a large Olfa mat. Maybe my next cutting table mat should be Martelli also?

Sewgood 04-03-2018 04:33 AM

Lindaschipper - did your rotating mat get all scratched up? I've had mine for maybe a couple years and the top got so scratched from cutting on it. Martelli does a one time replacement for $20 which I've ordered. Just wondering if mine is the only one that did that.

JENNR8R 04-03-2018 04:55 AM

If you used the Martelli rulers, the fabric would not move at all.

SusieQOH 04-03-2018 04:56 AM

Prism, I hope you enjoy using it. I love mine.
I didn't get the round mat after all. Maybe next time! My sewing room is such a mess that I'm having trouble finding anything so I need to clean up!

Onebyone 04-03-2018 05:03 AM

Try the Quilter's Select rulers. They will not slip. They hold the best on the QS mat but works on all mats. I use the glove with the QS rulers and the Slidelock with all the other brand rulers. I have the Martelli mat on my rotating board and on my Alto Quilt Cut. It's fine.