Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My mom's quilt, how can I preserve it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-moms-quilt-how-can-i-preserve-t171132.html)

quilter2theend 12-06-2011 05:47 AM

My mom's quilt, how can I preserve it?

My sister brought my mom's quilt home to my Dad's house and it is back on the bed in what washer bedroom. When I saw it, I thought how beautiful and what a lot of work all that hand embroidery was. The label I made for it is on it. When I looked closer though it has become dreadfully thin, there a couple of tears in the panel itself and the borders are very thin, the top one is completely open. I am wondering if I could just add another layer of batting, put on a new backing and finish with a new border. The original backing is a light blue with daisy flowers in it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I tried to download pictures but get a web acceleration error. Will try again later, heading off to work!

Judie 12-06-2011 06:07 AM

Gee, I don't know what's the best thing to do.. but I have done exactly that same thing... I still have the quilt, and still use it.. but it is a utility quilt not an heirloom. I know that quilts we use are precious, especially one made by someone we love so much, but I don't really believe in keeping something we love in a box in the closet.. why have it if it can't be used and appreciated? I would try to fix it and keep on using it.

ptquilts 12-06-2011 06:15 AM

Maybe you could just display it, instead of daily use?

emmah 12-06-2011 08:58 AM

Do just what you suggested. A new back and binding will keep it from stretching and tearing and make it useable. You can take a picture of what it looks like now, in case anyone is interested in it's history. Also make a new label and indicate it was rebacked on that. I think I am more hurt when some I gift with a quilt doesn't use it, than if they use it and it gets worn. (I want my bed size quilts to be providers of warmth and love, not cold museum pieces.)

momto5 12-06-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by emmah (Post 4756878)
Do just what you suggested. A new back and binding will keep it from stretching and tearing and make it useable. You can take a picture of what it looks like now, in case anyone is interested in it's history. Also make a new label and indicate it was rebacked on that. I think I am more hurt when some I gift with a quilt doesn't use it, than if they use it and it gets worn. (I want my bed size quilts to be providers of warmth and love, not cold museum pieces.)

Exactly what she said... nothing ticks me off more than to find out that someone to whom I gifted a quilt has "put it up"...they don't get another...

quiltingcandy 12-06-2011 01:54 PM

I made a hand embroidered, hand stitched quilt for the daughter of one of my dearest friends, Pat. It was given with the instructions it be used. Her daughter was one when I gave it to her, and they moved away, 10 years later when they came to visit Pat introduced me to her daughter again as the woman who made her butterfly quilt. She responded, "The one you keep for only special occasions." I shook my head and Pat said it was because she does day care and didn't want it destroyed. So it was nice to know it did get used from time to time, but wanted her to use it more.

After that most of the quilts I make are machine made so they will be used and washed and used again.