Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My New Favorite Quilting Tool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-new-favorite-quilting-tool-t28104.html)

QBeth 11-04-2009 08:46 AM

I tried something similar when I lived in a small condo. I suspended a board (1" x 2" x 8' long) with heavy string and plant hooks that screw into the ceiling. Using large hinged paper clips, I attached all three layers to the board.

First thought was "Hey, this might work!" I then tried to pin the layers together. Between the swaying of the board and trying to reach behind the quilt, especially in the middle, to steady it and provide resistance as the pin point came through, I gave up.

Sounds like a good idea but.... I ended up using the set-up to hang fabric as a I ironed it. Worked great for that!

Shemjo 11-04-2009 02:10 PM

Sounds like a plan, but I don't do the bend over thing either! I use a big table at church and spray baste! When we quilt at church, we use the old rails and horses and thumbtacks, so there is no working on the floor for these old knees!

mimisharon 11-04-2009 02:43 PM

Gosh, I can't do the floor anymore either. Between the constant back pain there's not enough steadiness in getting back up. I DO use the kitchen table and clamps, but oh, goodness even that hurts. I can't give up quilting, I just can't. Surely there's someone out there with an easier way of doing things than this???

Heirloom, eh? Ok, gonna go look for that one.

:cry:
Sharon

Olivia's Grammy 11-04-2009 05:12 PM

How are you going to quilt your bow tie quilt?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-04-2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
How are you going to quilt your bow tie quilt?

I'm X-ing in the plain squares and QID on the narrow border. The piano key border is yet to be determined.

MaineGirl76 11-04-2009 06:43 PM

Sounds like its coming along great Lisa! I can't wait to see it! You did a great job on your Christmas one!

proudnavyvet 11-04-2009 07:20 PM

hi everyone my name is kat egburtson, i live in nc with my husband denny who is a 100% disabled vet and a retired new york cop to boot. I am a navy vet den is air force. we have four rescued dogs, 3 cats inside, 16 finches and 3 cockteils. those are our kids. I am very patrioctic (dont think i spelled that right) and proudly have a flag in our front yard.

proudnavyvet 11-04-2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by proudnavyvet
hi everyone my name is kat egburtson, i live in nc with my husband denny who is a 100% disabled vet and a retired new york cop to boot. I am a navy vet den is air force. we have four rescued dogs, 3 cats inside, 16 finches and 3 cockteils. those are our kids. I am very patrioctic (dont think i spelled that right) and proudly have a flag in our front yard.

[quote]The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged on the way its animals are treated - Gandhi