Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My new project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-new-project-t202005.html)

rural01 10-02-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats (Post 5554082)
Wow, love the purple dresdens. Very pretty.

Thanks, purple has always been my favorite color, so I guess this means I'm going back to my roots. ;-)

rural01 10-02-2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 5554087)
Great projects -- Dresden plates. I got into it several years ago and made a bunch of things. I sewed mine down by machine (when I did the smaller pieces) or left them with the pointed ends. However, I created strata and made pieced blades -- then made Christmas tree skirts (left the hole open), table toppers, etc. A quarter of a Dresden plate is a fan -- and a half made a nice runner on my hall table until someone wanted it.

They really are so versatile. I'm sure I will be sick of all this hand-sewing when this project is done, so the next one will probably be by machine. My machine and I are not quite that close yet, but that is just another challenge yet to be conquered. Dresdens are so traditional. I can't help but love them. Pieced blades, by the way, sounds fabulous.

rural01 10-02-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5554418)
it's nice to expand our horizons... love the avatar

Thanks Nancy, Yes it is nice to expand our horizons. And, it is great fun playing within those ever-expanding horizons.

rural01 10-02-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth (Post 5554648)
I love purple but haven't made any Dresden Plate blocks, yet. Be sure to post a photo when finished.

I will be sure to post a photo in whatever year I finish. hehe.

rural01 10-02-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 5554685)
I'm with you 100 % Carol....i love the Dresden plate - pointy - not rounded - edges. Great for hand work only or as a combo of machine and hand....do you use the fold and straight stitch method for creating the points? Love that ! So versatile - as QuiltnLady1 said....and they make great flowers too. We'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Hah, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product too. Could be a long time though. I am loving the process though. Yes, I'm fold and stitching the ends to make the points. I have a pretty assembly line process going from cutting the blades to stitching the ends, to pressing each one. I was opening up all the seams on the plate as Eleanor Burns describes, but decided that was just too cumbersome. So now that I'm pressing the seams all to one direction, it is going so much faster. I had a problem with the first block--actually the one pictures--it wouldn't lay down flat. I have since purchased a new 1/4" foot for my sewing machine. It has a little guide on it. Since I started using that, I have no more problems. So apparently sewing was my problem before. It is so nice when it all works.

rural01 10-02-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5554801)
I want to make one. I made an Aster quilt for oldest Daughter years ago. I think the dresden is a lot like it.

Oh, I'll have to look that up. I've never heard of that before. I'm having a great time doing this--loving every step of the process.

rural01 10-02-2012 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5555173)
Very pretty, can't wait to see the quilt.

Oh boy Joyce, me too. Might be a while, but this will be a nice winter project. There is something so homey about sewing in front of a fire, with help from my cats.

vivnme 10-02-2012 09:48 AM

I wish I had more patience for hand quilting. Your colors are beautiful.

maryellen2u 10-03-2012 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by rural01 (Post 5556952)
Oh, that does sound lovely. Have you posted a picture somewhere? I'd love to see it. The more I get into quilting, and I'm in it pretty deeply now, the more I love the traditional patterns and hand work. Imagine having to make quilts for the solely utilitarian purposes and not just because we love them. Our ancestors have my utmost respect.

And often they did it by candle light or gas lights. I'm with you- - I am full of respect and awe for those practical artisans!

Caswews 10-03-2012 04:02 AM

very nice .. pretty purples .. Have fun !!