Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Newest Project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-newest-project-t5581.html)

sandpat 03-25-2008 03:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, here is what I drew up while hubby was in the hospital. The red hearts will be appliqued (when I learn how to do that) The white spaces will be feathered hearts done in trapunto (you all know I love to do that). I am planning to do the flying geese in a variety of the fabrics that I will also be using for the piecing so it will look scrappy. I'm planning to use the beige for a scalloped outside border that will drop over the side of the bed about 14" and it will be appliqued with "folk art" type of running rabbit, birds, and flowering vines.

Ya'll have any thoughts..suggestions...this is terrible??? It won't hurt my feelings (I'll just ignore your advice if I don't like it :roll: )

Focus fabric for the blocks, crackle fabric to be the app. hearts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3584[/ATTACH]

Backing fabric on top, border and block background beige fabric along with focus fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3587[/ATTACH]

Pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3615[/ATTACH]

sandpat 03-25-2008 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more of the piecing fabrics

Piecing fabric for the pinwheels and stars
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3659[/ATTACH]

quiltwoman 03-25-2008 03:45 PM

I love the rich colors. It looks like you are well on your way. Which type of applique do you prefer? I tried many methods and settled on perhaps the most time consuming but it's one where I feel like I don't have to redo it to get it to look right.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
Julie

Moonpi 03-25-2008 03:47 PM

Looks great - loooove those fabrics. My only concern would be uneven wear (in later years) since the heart pattern would always be facing topside up. Is the scalloped edging going on all 4 sides?

amma 03-25-2008 05:29 PM

Love your design, the fabrics, WOW! Can't wait to see it when it is done :D

sandpat 03-26-2008 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
Which type of applique do you prefer? I tried many methods and settled on perhaps the most time consuming but it's one where I feel like I don't have to redo it to get it to look right.

I've only tried ironing it over freezer paper, then blanket stitching by hand. I really would like for these to be blind stitched, so will try that..with the freezer paper I guess for a nice edge. Which do you do?

sandpat 03-26-2008 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
My only concern would be uneven wear (in later years) since the heart pattern would always be facing topside up. Is the scalloped edging going on all 4 sides?

I hadn't thought of the uneven wear..well, hopefully, it will outlast me :D

I was thinking about the 4 sided scallops vs. 3 sides..I'm going to have to see how the quilt works out, it may be that it will be way too long if I use all 4 sides, I may have to only do 3. Will the quilt police nab me or is that acceptable? What do you think?

sondray 03-26-2008 05:08 AM

Great pattern and fabrics, love the colors. Can't wait to see it.

Knot Sew 03-26-2008 05:14 AM

That is a beautiful design. I like blanket stitch, machine or applique, probably as my blind stitch comes out and looks around a LOT.

Your scallop could be a little narrower on each side or just leave it off the top. I can't wait to see this. :D

Harmony 03-26-2008 06:16 AM

Love your colors, beautiful design. Just thinking about doing all those tiny flying geese gives me a headache!