Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My next quilt will be... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-next-quilt-will-t181614.html)

tngal22 03-04-2012 11:36 AM

My next quilt will be...

a T-Shirt quilt from our drive out west this month! Hubby and I decided to pick up a shirt from each place we stop so I can make a quilt out of them. I know it will be difficult since knit isn't the best to sew with sometimes, but I know to stablize them so hopefully it won't be too bad. I am looking forward to trying the T-Shirt quilt. I kinda have in progress since hubby's old uniform quilt does have some T-Shirts in it.

Has anyone did a T-Shirt quilt? Any advice before I start so I can prepare when we get back?

bnlmom 03-04-2012 12:09 PM

Never did one yet, but my daughter has a ton of concert shirts and eventually will want a t-shirt quilt. I think the best ones would be where the design is centered on the shirt so you have plenty of fabric to "border" it.

QandE2010 03-04-2012 12:16 PM

If you put t-shirt quilt in the search box on the forum, you'll get lots of ideas. Good luck.

Peckish 03-04-2012 12:30 PM

What a great idea for a souvenir!

ckcowl 03-04-2012 01:10 PM

t-shirt quilts ARE NOT HARD! they are actually quite fun to make- and not difficult at all- simply use a fusable lightweight tricot interfacing---available from stores like joannes- quite inexpensive-by the yard.
do a t=shirt quilt search you will see tons of them- there are a dozen or so commercial patterns for them- plus all the ones people just make without using a pattern- but do not (think) difficult---they are not. use a needle made for knits, a good thread, i'm sure there are probably even a number of free tutorials on them.

ckcowl 03-04-2012 01:11 PM

t-shirt quilts ARE NOT HARD! they are actually quite fun to make- and not difficult at all- simply use a fusable lightweight tricot interfacing---available from stores like joannes- quite inexpensive-by the yard.
do a t=shirt quilt search you will see tons of them- there are a dozen or so commercial patterns for them- plus all the ones people just make without using a pattern- but do not (think) difficult---they are not. use a needle made for knits, a good thread, i'm sure there are probably even a number of free tutorials on them.

tngal22 03-04-2012 01:37 PM

Thanks! I am kinda excited about trying it when we get back.

almond 03-04-2012 07:42 PM

Wash the t-shirts 1st but do NOT use dryer sheets when drying.

Saphire 03-05-2012 09:02 AM

I procrastinated for a long time because I thought T-shirt fabric would be difficult. The tricot stablizer worked great. Never had any problems, and my DIL loves her quilt!. Wish I had done it sooner.

katsbmr 03-05-2012 09:42 AM

I highly recommend getting the book , "You did what with my t-shirts?". Can't remember the author, but I have made two t-shirt quilts from it, and it has very good explanations on preparation