Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Personal Quilt Police Person (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-personal-quilt-police-person-t278937.html)

bearisgray 05-24-2016 10:24 AM

My Personal Quilt Police Person

Is me.

I do not think she is too hard on me.

I think she encourages me to do careful work and not settle for "oh, nobody will notice."

I noticed - and I do consider myself to be "somebody".

There are times when "as good as I can do with what I have" is "as good as it's going to get."

But knowingly leaving a glaring error drives me more bonkers than I usually am - and I am reasonably sure that if it bothers me a lot now - that it will still bother me several years from now. It's like having my underwear on inside out and backwards. Not comfortable!

Anyone else like this?

Onebyone 05-24-2016 10:27 AM

I don't over think my quilting work. I make sure the seams meet and the points are sharp. I'm happy with that.

Tartan 05-24-2016 10:28 AM

Boo boos drive me bonkers as well! I try to fix them but if I have done something over a zillion times and it's still wrong, I let it go and move on.

ManiacQuilter2 05-24-2016 11:04 AM

I use to be that way but not anymore. I just try my best but I am disable. As the Disney song says, "let it go" and try to improve on the next quilt you make. Quilting is a hobby for most of us and it should be fun and enjoyable.

BETTY62 05-24-2016 11:16 AM

If I notice a mistake before I get my quilt quilted, I will go back and fix it no matter how much I have to rip out and redo. However, if I notice the mistake after it has been quilted I don't try to go back and fix it but, just knowing the mistake is there will haunt me for the rest of my life. And, what is even worse is that I can't help but point the error out to the individual to whom I gift the quilt although I know it is unlikely they would ever notice it on their own since they are not quilters. Is this not dumb?

quiltingcandy 05-24-2016 11:17 AM

Afraid I am more like Bearisgray, and if I notice something that is wrong I have to fix it. My family tells me that I am a much better quilter than I give myself credit. While making a Double Irish Chain quilt I made up 3 blocks and was not happy with one of the colors and took the blocks apart trying 3 more fabrics before I finally happy with one. For me it is hard to finish a quilt I am not happy with how it is developing no matter what the reason.

MadQuilter 05-24-2016 11:43 AM

My inner cop has relatively high standards. Nothing wrong with that. However, I don't "police" others unless appropriate. For example, I am teaching my friend how to quilt and I will give her the opportunity to fix or not fix mistakes. It is her decision but I will point things out and give her info how to improve those issues.

bearisgray 05-24-2016 11:49 AM

I have learned to not (usually) make ANY unsolicited negative comments about other people's work.

However, if someone asks - I try to make suggestions for only fixable things. (A "flimsy" is fair game for suggestions (if asked) - but a quilted and bound quilt is not.)

aronel 05-24-2016 11:56 AM

I am in the same club with you. Wish I could overlook errors that I know no one but me will notice. Just can't.

gramajo 05-24-2016 12:10 PM

I am a "finished is better than perfect" person. If it's not quilted and not too difficult to repair, I will fix it.