Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My rag quilt wont rag properly.................. need help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rag-quilt-wont-rag-properly-need-help-t25251.html)

sunnyhope 09-09-2009 02:05 PM

what am i doing wrong, its a quilt, not in squares but long fat stripes so 2 speak based around one middle square. it is flannel and cotton 100% fabric and its been washed 3 times and they cut off thingys is just looked poorly now not raggy.

what am i doing wrong?

and no i havent used fabric softner and it feels really stiff now so i need to get that sorted too

dunster 09-09-2009 02:29 PM

Did you snip the edges about every 1/4 inch before washing it?

sharon b 09-09-2009 02:47 PM

Can you post a pic so maybe we can see what happened ?

MadQuilter 09-09-2009 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dunster

That would have been my question too, and did you cut the selvage off?

thimblebug6000 09-09-2009 06:36 PM

And did you by mistake cut them on the bias?

sunnyhope 09-10-2009 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by dunster

That would have been my question too, and did you cut the selvage off?

YES to both, i dont think i cut on the bias, i cut out the fabrick lenght wise.
will try and add a photo.

Cathe 09-10-2009 06:52 AM

Is the fabric 100% cotton? Did you dry it in the dryer or on the clothesline?

sunnyhope 09-10-2009 06:54 AM

100% cotton or flane, dried on the rack as i dont have a thumbledrier but i can borrow mums if that helps but i do think i need to perhaps cut the raggy lines a bit shorter

Prism99 09-10-2009 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by sunnyhope
100% cotton or flane, dried on the rack as i dont have a thumbledrier but i can borrow mums if that helps but i do think i need to perhaps cut the raggy lines a bit shorter

Be careful about drying in a home dryer. There is so much lint with ragging, it can mess up the dryer. Most quilters take the quilt to a commercial laundry for ragging.

Do quilts rag if they are not dried in the dryer?

dunster 09-10-2009 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Originally Posted by sunnyhope

Be careful about drying in a home dryer. There is so much lint with ragging, it can mess up the dryer. Most quilters take the quilt to a commercial laundry for ragging.

Do quilts rag if they are not dried in the dryer?

No, they don't rag. They need either the dryer or John Flynn's weed whacker. This is probably all you need to do to make your quilt's edges rag beautifully.

I have dried several quilts in my home dryer, despite being told not to. I clean the lint tray SEVERAL times during drying. So far, so good. The outgoing line should also be checked for lint buildup.