Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rowenta-iron-just-dumped-all-water-my-ironing-board-t301994.html)

Maureen NJ 01-03-2019 06:07 PM

I had a Rowenta for years and it started leaking. Then I was at the Outlets and bought a refurbished Rowenta for $25. I’ve used it a lot for about 10 years. I only use distilled water in it as we have very hard water. I also emptied it after every used. I love the steam and how hot it gets. Recently,it started leaking. Last year we broke up my mother-in-laws home and she had 3 Rowentas (product of the Depression so she always had spares). Luckily, I don’t have to go out to buy one.

Boston1954 01-03-2019 06:46 PM

I have something that was only about $14. I do not put water in irons anymore. I have a little spray bottle in reach and it is wonderful.

Scraplady 01-03-2019 08:05 PM

I've always bought cheap irons and just consider them a consumable that will have to be replaced every couple of years. My hubby bought me a Rowenta once, it leaked after just a couple of months and I never like it. I'm using a B&D Digital Advantage at the moment. I like it because it holds a LOT of water. I do use the steam function since I don't like having to use a separate spritz bottle all the time. But it's the third one I've bought and its thermostat is already starting to die.

My next iron is going to be a gravity feed. I vaguely remember someone here recommending one a year or two ago, but can't remember the brand. I plan to do my homework before I make my investment. I don't need an industrial version, but I don't want a cheapo either. I already have the perfect place for the tank to sit on a shelf right next to my ironing station.

jothesewer2 01-03-2019 08:56 PM

Thanks for all of your help. I am not buying another expensive iron. I will buy a cheap steam iron an if it leaks throw it away. I will probably be money ahead. It seem that they have had the same problem for years and do nothing about it. I have had three Rowenta irons and the same happened to all. I called the factory and they told me I should use spring water which I did. Didn't help. Seems like mine have lasted about one or little over is all. Poor company for standing behind their products.

Peckish 01-03-2019 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jothesewer2 (Post 8186552)
I called the factory and they told me I should use spring water which I did.

What does that even mean?? You need to grab a bucket and hike on down to the spring and fill it? Pet the bunnies, baby deer, and squirrels along the way??

Reliable Digital Velocity. Awesome iron.

themadpatter 01-04-2019 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8186566)
What does that even mean?? You need to grab a bucket and hike on down to the spring and fill it? Pet the bunnies, baby deer, and squirrels along the way??

Reliable Digital Velocity. Awesome iron.

You kill me, lol. I can't believe they mean spring water, because it has just as many minerals in it as tap water. I understand that you can use tap water in Rowentas because they have self cleaning built in, but in areas with hard water, I don't see why they have a prohibition on distilled water.

redmadder 01-04-2019 03:47 AM

I have a couple of Black and Decker Classic found at thrift stores. They are heavy, solid, and get HOT and stay that way for 15 minutes after I turn them off. Half my ironing is done with the iron turned off. I just have to remember to turn down the heat with poly thread.

jmoore 01-04-2019 04:01 AM

Like Peckish, I have had a Reliable Digital Velocity for almost 2 years now. I have a “leaky” Rowenta up on a shelf in our laundry room but hang on to it for a back up and use a spray bottle if I need steam/water.

Intereresting that no one has mentioned an Olioso iron which I see quite often on quilt shows and videos.???

tranum 01-04-2019 04:33 AM

Presently I’m using a $1.00 travel iron from a garage sale. Gets hot but no automatic shut off.

cat-on-a-mac 01-04-2019 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8186373)
I use a cheap Black and Decker that I bought at Walmart at least 15, maybe 20 years ago. It gets good and hot. I don't put water in it, instead I use a spray bottle like Christine mentioned. If it ever dies, I'll buy another cheap one like it.

Rob

Same for me, except I did have to replace mine last week! (It quit heating ... and when I picked it up, I could hear something rattling inside ... )

I got another from Amazon. Never put water in it. It's nice and heavy, which makes it better for pressing seams.