Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rowenta-iron-just-dumped-all-water-my-ironing-board-t301994.html)

recycler 07-10-2021 05:25 AM

I love a good steam iron and recently got a Rowenta at a great discount through Amazon, and love the steam and the heat it generates! I liked my old Hamilton Beach Durathon iron also, which had nice steam. I am keeping it nearby as I have heard negative comments on the Rowentas. I only use reverse osmosis water in my irons despite their advice to only use tap water. Works great for me!

Fizzle 07-10-2021 05:34 AM

I bought some $9 iron from Walmart to have at cabin. Have not added water. So far its been great. Someday i will get the Reliable Velocity!

DrosieD 07-12-2021 02:11 PM

I've had Rowenta irons for years. I never listened to the tap water only instructions. Our water is so hard you can barely cut it. I used one for a bit with tap water with it spitting and leaking. That one had a lever for "cleaning". I did that and have never used anything other than distilled water. When it started leaking I tossed it and now use nothing but a fine mist spray bottle.

DresiArnaz 07-14-2021 07:39 PM

This thread inspired me to buy a new iron. I just got a cheap Maytag from Amazon.

My iron started burning up the water almost as fast as I added it! It's also at least 25 years old.

I thought about getting one from the thrift store for a couple dollars but wanted something I could feel sure about.

Works okay so far.

DrosieD 08-03-2021 07:24 PM

I know Rowenta says to use tap water only. I doubt they ever took into consideration areas with extremely hard water. I was constantly having to clean out my one and only Rowenta because of that. I started using half tap and half distilled. Still cleaning and then spitting. I'd had that iron for well over 15 years. I got a new one that has never had any water in it, just use a mist bottle and no drips and spurts.

Karamarie 08-04-2021 11:39 AM

My Oliso also leaks and that is not a cheap iron.

DrosieD 08-08-2021 08:09 PM

Years ago I had a Panasonic from Walmart. It had auto-shutoff and a retractable cord. Loved that iron. It lasted I'm thinking about 4=5 years. Sure wish I could find another just like it. It wasn't so heavy that my old carpel tunnel hands and rotator cuff shoulders can't pick it up.

Karamarie 08-09-2021 05:22 AM

I have an Oliso and the same thing is happening. I guess you are supposed to empty it when done using, but I am not good at doing that, still shouldn't leak.

quilting cat 01-13-2022 10:46 AM

My T-Fal had been stuck on the perfect temperature for several years, until it overheated and set off the smoke detector last week. I also have a Rowenta that gave up steaming, so appreciate everyone's opinions on irons, even if they are 3 years old,

Austinite 01-13-2022 10:57 AM

I've had a big box cheapie for years and a spray bottle and no issues, all of them leaked water until I got wise and stopped putting water in them.