Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Singer Merrit 4538 Not Sewing ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-singer-merrit-4538-not-sewing-t162757.html)

JuneBillie 10-24-2011 12:33 AM

I am not sure why, but suddenly my singer is not sewing correctly. Put more thread in bobbin. Set tension to different settings to see if that helped. Moved around the wheel that sets different stitch widths to see if that helped. The results is either not making stitches and easily having to rethread the needle, or skipped stitched, or wadding up on the back side when it did attempt to stitch on the top of the fabric. I am frustrated with so many projects to work on for Christmas. Anyone have any ideas?

annthreecats 10-24-2011 01:24 AM

Suggestions. Clean the bobbin area really good with a brush, re-thread, and change your needle. Good luck.

ETA: I'm thinking your machine is mechanical. If it's computerized, I would unplug it and let it sit. I had to do that with my computerized Bernina yesterday. It was stuck on zero stitch length and had to be re-set.

mimom 10-24-2011 01:25 AM

did you hit a pin, maybe your timing is off. The other thing it could be if you recently changed your needle is you have it in wrong.

JuneBillie 10-24-2011 01:33 AM

Yes, my machine is mechanical. I had been sewing on a toddler purse, and it went ok through some thick layers on one strap to the bag, and had all the purse finished except for the other strap. Now all of this has been going on. How do I know if the timing is off? My mother gave me this machine so I don't know the in's and out's of it yet. She is not well, so it's hard to have her look at it or even ask about it, because she wouldn't remember.

JuneBillie 10-24-2011 01:34 AM

I do think I need to get some more needles though that are for thicker fabrics.

QuiltnNan 10-24-2011 04:13 AM

i sure hope you get this resolved soon. i feel your frustration.

Painiacs 10-24-2011 04:52 AM

How frustrating! I know I have an older singer I've got the walking foot on that's messing up! Can't finish anything!! Good luck!

Prism99 10-24-2011 08:23 AM

Did you do anything between it working on one purse strap and not working on the other? For example, did you change the bobbin?

If you did absolutely nothing in-between it working and not working, then that narrows down the possibilities.

What I am wondering is if you bent the needle when you were working on the strap. Take the needle out to see if it is straight. Also check the tip to make sure that the needle is intact (no broken tip). When you replace the needle, make sure that it is seated all the way up in the shaft. (Sometimes needles will slip down out of position while you are sewing, so this is a possibility too.)

tmw 10-24-2011 09:43 AM

do you have any needles for denim, and try setting everything back to the basic settings.

JuneBillie 10-24-2011 10:15 AM

I will try all of these things. I do need to get a needle for thicker fabric. I just hope I get it back to working. Even if I had the money (which I don't right now) to get another machine, this one is special to me, because of my mother giving it to me.