Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My sister...feeling out of sorts??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-sister-feeling-out-sorts-t104335.html)

misseva 03-03-2011 10:42 AM

I always pictured cowboys, boots, etc as being appropriate for a child's quilt. IMHO just can't imagine an adult wanting something like that. But whatever floats your boat. I would be tempted to get 'cowboy' fabric & just make a sandwich - & machine quilt it. If she's not a quilter she won't know the difference anyway and will probably never see the other sister's quilt to compare.

Char 03-03-2011 11:03 AM

YES! And I personally think that your husband is a keeper!

bubblegum1286 03-03-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Only make her a quilt if making it will make you happy.

Agreed. I would say forget it, but that's just me.

I was going to make my husband a quilt about a year ago as a surprise, but I got too excited to contain it, so I went ahead and showed him the fabric I'd picked out, which would've worked perfectly for the pinwheel blocks I was planning. He didn't like the fabric! He said, "Oh...I wasn't expecting something like THAT....I mean, it's nice, I guess..." He's not typically an unappreciative person, but it just KILLED me.

So I said forget it. It's not that I was punishing him by not making it, but any time I would sit down to work on it, I would remember his reaction, and my feelings would get hurt all over again. I just abandoned the project. I'll make him a quilt some day, but I just still don't feel like it yet.

So if it makes you sad or frustrated to work on her quilt, then don't. But if you can still enjoy yourself, then go right ahead.

#1piecemaker 03-03-2011 11:08 AM

I love the fabrics and she will too. Just make the quilt the way you would if you were going to keep it.

Ramona Byrd 03-03-2011 11:31 AM

Yes, make it for her. I think that you've forgotten that boy friends can come and go, but sisters stay for life.

With my mass of sisters, I have no idea of how many boy friends (can remember all of their husbands) have come and gone, so remember, sisters stay..boyfriends can easily be replaced and often are. The next one might be someone who camps and wants pictures of the Spotted Owl on HIS quilt.

Wunder-Mar 03-03-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
oh my goodness - I absolutely love those colors! Can you make a log cabin with them? Maybe you should ask her what exactly she means by "country". good luck! :)

I agree - when I hear "country" I think of the early/earlier Thimbleberries designs in similar palettes. I asked my (Kentucky-born Marine) son-in-law what "country" meant to him and he said, "red, white and blue, since so many military members like country music." So, there you go!

I also think that "country" may mean smaller-scale flowers to a lot of folks - let us know what your sister says when you ask her...

bubblegum1286 03-03-2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar

I also think that "country" may mean smaller-scale flowers to a lot of folks - let us know what your sister says when you ask her...

Yikes, that is so much lovelier than what I think of when I hear "country". I think of camouflage fabrics and lots of flannel. Haha

But I have a sweet country scrap quilt my grandmother made. It has soft colors found in nature (browns, greens, creams) and small flower prints. Its something you'd find draped over a bed in a cabin in the woods. Very lovely, very simple. No camo.

tinliz 03-03-2011 12:36 PM

Tell your sister to send you the fabric and pattern for the quilt she wants, you already paid for one, this time it is her turn.

You will find a use for the red and black fabric at a later time.

roseOfsharon 03-03-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
You think I should still make it??

NO!!! Since she hasn't liked any of your picks, tell her if she wants a quilt she should go buy the material she likes, and then you will make something from it. Give her a yardage amount to buy for the size she wants.

Why work on something that is going to be received in such a manner it will hurt your feelings and ruin your pleasure in the giving. If she is, as DH says, critical of everything you do, you need to pull up your big girl panties and just say NO. No one can take advantage of you without your permission.

I am inclined to agree with gaigai, let her pick out the material she likes. Give her the yardage of three choices and have her pick it out and mail to you. Then you will have some idea of what you are working with. It is hard to know what someone really likes unless you are around them in the present. I am sure she will love what you make from it. Good luck .

Sharon

bjnicholson 03-03-2011 01:08 PM

Maybe you should ask her what she means by "country". I get the feeling that she doesn't know what it takes to make a quilt, so she doesn't know what to ask for.