Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my sympathies for Canadian quilters. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-sympathies-canadian-quilters-t48152.html)

fsmcm 06-03-2010 09:53 AM

I live in Calgary and do most of my fabric shopping on-line. I have ordered many many times through the US quilt shops and only once have had to pay duty and it was minimal and I still saved. I have even ordered a box of quilt batting, never paid duty and still came out about $80 in the black. When I figure in the shipping and exchange, I'm still ahead of the game. I have some favorite shops that I frequently check on line.

I was in Montana doing a shop hop of my own a couple of weekends ago. I was slightly over my limit, claimed it coming across the border..."Thank, have a good day." The prices in the US are at least 1/2 of what is charged here. I now have a account set up with a shipping outlet near the border and can have my fabrics etc. shipped there for a very minimal fee. This takes advantage of some of the "free shipping" offered by some shops. I still go occasionally to my LQSs (though one shop is higher priced that the others in town)but usually keep my purchases to a minimum, or something I need right away, or if they are having a big sale. When I visit family in Ontario, I usually check out the shops there, but the prices are pretyy much the same.

ddrobins1956 06-03-2010 10:05 AM

Tell me about it. We pay double for almost everything here in Canada. I shop till I drop when in the States and rarely buy any fabric or quilting supplies here in Ontario, unless in a real bind. Oh and lets not forget our 13 % sales tax. Yeah Canada!

kclausing 06-03-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gennynut

Originally Posted by kclausing
Sounds like Canadian quilters need to team up with a US buddy, who can pick up and ship them quilt fabrics. And just pay through pay pal.

Good idea but the shipping and duty charges can be a killer. If any US quilters want to help a Canadian quilter they need to check all possibilities for shipping. sometimes the flat box rates are higher than using a large brown envelope . I am a Canadian Quilter in Southern Alberta. I get a lot of my fabric by ebay and some online stores. I watch for sales or good deals at these sites and even with shipping it is cheaper. Have to be careful of amount. If I order over a certian amount I have to pay "duty" on top to cross the border. It can be very frustrating. :-(

If sent by a private party with no claimed value on the package, can they really charge duty?

Gennynut 06-03-2010 11:03 AM

I've only paid duty once and that was on a purchase through a store. No I don't think there would be a problem with a private party no that you say that!
So any of you US quiltiers willing to buy and ship for us Canadian Quilters?!!

MrsColumbo 06-03-2010 12:53 PM

When I lived in Newfoundland I was making mohair bears and a friend in NJ and I decided to do an exchange .. I sent her a bear I made that was valued at about $100. thru Canada Post .. she got it fine and paid no duty .. when hers came, she put a value of $40.00 on it and sent it UPS not realizing that UPS is much better used within the US but sending to Canada UPS is awful ... they tried to charge me $80.00 "brokerage fees" plus some kind of tax .. I refused it and it was sent back to her ... she sent it back to me and I received it (two months later) via USPS .. when that came to the door I was met with a $70.00 duty bill even though she had "gift" on it and it was still $40.00 .. why? Because she had "Charlene's Bears" in her address label so they classified it as a business .. I sent it back again.

If you receive anything from an individual, it is fine and can be called a "gift" but "Charlene's Bears" even though it was a sewing machine in her living room, they call a business and it could not be a "gift" .. she returned it to me again with just her name on it and I was charged NOTHING ... hence I don't order anything anymore from any business or stores in the US ..

Toby

CarolinePaj 06-03-2010 01:24 PM

Hi Guys,

Here in the UK the minimum price for a meter of fabric is £10 that is about US $15..! I was looking for some moda marbles yesterday and in the US they range from $7 - $8.60. Here in the UK Moda Marble range from £9.50 - £11.00, that is more than double the price in the US. I have ordered fabric from the US, but by the time I have paid postage and then Customs and VAT and the £9.00 the Post Office charge to collect the customs and VAT it makes is more expensive than buying it here.

You US ladies are so lucky! If I ever get to the US I am not bringing any clothes... just empty suitcases for fabby!

Hugs

Caroline

SuziC 06-03-2010 01:26 PM

Thank goodness for the online shopping. All you need to consider is the shipping costs.

MrsColumbo 06-03-2010 01:30 PM

Shipping is costly when it's coming to Canada ... it isn't even worth it for me to order from the US ... if I pay $30.00 a meter for fabric here (which I do because I very seldom buy cotton, only upholstery, tapestry), getting it from the US for the same quality may cost me $20.00 but tax and shipping plus the dollar conversion brings me up to about $29.00 .. I prefer to feel the stuff in person, not get it here and realize it's not near what I want in quality then having to ship it back at my own expense.

Toby

weezie 06-03-2010 09:03 PM

I grew up in Delta in B.C. and still have extended family there on the lower mainland and on Vancouver Island, so I keep in touch. My sister (who does not make quilts) has a terrible time both finding ready-made clothing (to fit her and her taste and her budget) and dealing with the shock of the fabric prices.

Sewlmatesister 06-04-2010 03:28 AM

First of all ...we have free trade....there is no such thing as DUTY on fabric....all you pay if anything is the tax....13% in Ontario. I buy once a year in Lancaster PA and 90% of everything is else is on line shopping... 8 yds quilters cotton can be fit into a flat rate envelope..$12.00...that makes each yd ..$1.50 more per yd with free shipping (just converting my cost)..., I never pay the Tax(duty as some call it) on a package that size. Only if I buy a large package over..with costs much higher have I ever paid...still a HUGE bargain!!