Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Volunteers of America store find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-volunteers-america-store-find-t131989.html)

3NorwichTerr 06-20-2011 06:47 PM

I've been reading the posts about the great finds at thrift stores and garage sales and was feeling a little pouty because I never seem to find much. But then I realized I was like the man who prayed that he would win the lottery, promising to gve 10% of whatever he wins to the church. As each week passed without him winning he would increase the amount he promised to donate. He was up to 95% when he heard a voice from the heaven say, "Give me a break. Buy a ticket." I had pretty much stopped going to the thrift stores and garage sales.

The VofA thrift store is next to the grocery where I shop so yesterday I decided to stop in. Lo and behold, there was a large box of Christmas fabric, marked $29. The seemed like a lot and I usually limit my thrift store spending to less that that, but it was a pretty big box and we usually donate to the Volunteers every year anyway, so I figured what the heck, I'd consider this somewhat of a donation. Plus I had this week's "allowance" burning a hole in my pocket.

When I got the box home and started sorting through it I found 3 pieces that were 2 yards each, 15 one-yard cuts, 20 one-half yard cuts, about 40 quarter yard or fat quarter cuts and a stack about 25 inches high of bits and pieces, including some cut squares.

So while this was not the best deal ever, I sure had several dollars worth of fun just sorting through the box. Now I just need some Christmas projects to start using this stuff up. (Not to mention the tote full of Christmas fabric I already had...but who's counting?)

Deby

blueangel 06-20-2011 06:52 PM

Good find.

Murphy 06-20-2011 06:54 PM

Nice find. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your creations.

LastGrandma 06-20-2011 06:54 PM

That's way over 41 yards for $29!!! You did great! You will have even more fun making lots of Christmas projects!

auntpiggylpn 06-20-2011 07:12 PM

You should buy a lottery ticket!!!!

alikat110 06-20-2011 07:20 PM

Yeah. Sounds like a great deal

cjomomma 06-20-2011 07:42 PM

Sounds like a fantastic deal to me!! You go girl!!

BETTY62 06-20-2011 08:12 PM

It seems pretty good to me when you consider you got 41 yards of fabric plus a 25 inch stack of scraps for only $29. At that price you paid less than .71 cents per yard for the 41 yards of fabric. The cost of the scraps were not taken into consideration as the yardage of the scraps could not be determined. So, consider your scraps a bonus. I would love to find Christmas fabric for .71 cents per yard. I think you got a real bargin and may you enjoy making your Christmas projects for this year at a cost far less than most of us will be spending.

Grammy o'5 06-20-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Nice find. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your creations.

I agree!

BrendaK 06-20-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
Yeah. Sounds like a great deal

:thumbup: I was thinking the same thing. BrendaK