Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My walmart closed without warning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-walmart-closed-without-warning-t11275.html)

reneebobby 09-15-2008 09:00 AM

Well, about 2 years ago my city built a shopping mall on a dump, yes I said dump. Walmart came in, Giant eagle, JoAnne's, Dicks among others. Well, with the methane gas that happens to come up stronger on somedays than others Jo Annes left, which killed me because I was in there almost weekly. Now I just saw that Walmart shut it's doors today and no one even knew it was happening. So there went my last close store for yarn and fabric. Oh well, such is life that mall will be another ghost town. :cry:

Moonpi 09-15-2008 09:38 AM

Um, seems like someone must've gotten paid off if the ground they built on was unstable, Gasses can be vented or burned off. I suspect the structural issues are scarier.

Elizabeth A. 09-15-2008 10:32 AM

Oh ick. I read something were some famous person had done that with his house, but that was different and huge amounts of money were used to neutralize the thing.

Hey at least you wont be coming into contact with whatever Joann's and Walmart didn't want anymore. Perhaps they're moving? We've had Walmart move down the road about 1/2 mile from where it was, and another time Micheal's moved accross the road, both times to get a bigger space (of course!) :shock: :roll:

Quilting Aggi 09-15-2008 10:54 AM

wow you would think there would have been more research and environment tests done on the area before anything was built there!!!! someone didn't do their homework.

Renee bobby I'm so sorry to hear you lost both. Are there any other resorts in the area, or will you have to do more hunting and shopping online?

quilterpat 09-20-2008 10:22 AM

WOW, I read about that in the newspaper the other day. To loose both of those stores is really bad, sure hope that they will replace them for you, and not too far away. :-o

mamatobugboo 09-20-2008 03:05 PM

why would someone build on top of a dump? besides the gas, there is the settling issue as things decompose - i'm sorry to hear that you have lost your stores, that is never fun for anyone

fabricluvr 09-20-2008 03:29 PM

that was actually on the national news here in NW ohio. sorry to hear that. surely they'll rebuild somewhere close by (hopefully for you). they couldn't take a chance on leaving it open and having something happen or lives affected by the environment.

mrsj82 09-20-2008 03:35 PM

That sucks! I know what you mean about having a good cheap place to get fabric. I live in the Walmart fabric section...and each time I go in there I cannot resist just going and seeing what they have. I love the $1 a yard that they have in there. I've gotten some of the cutest stuff.

Anyway, this is my long-winded way of saying I feel your pain and I hope you find someplace to get your fix! :lol: