Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My wife received a quilt that was done by her great grandmother (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-wife-received-quilt-done-her-great-grandmother-t160898.html)

OmaForFour 10-17-2011 04:08 AM

I have removed blood with peroxide but don't know how it would work on an old quilt. You could use qtips and clean it with a mild solution of clorox if the background is really white and not offwhite. Otherwise you could use qtips and oxyclean and try that.

sew_itnow 10-17-2011 04:43 AM

I know this might sound weird but try using a little bit of your spit on the spot. The enzymes in your spit will take out a blood stain in most cases without causing a problem with the fabric.

mermaid 10-17-2011 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I use this as well and I agree it works wonders. I had stuck my finger with a pin and bled on my sewing table cover. Sprayed the spots and it took absolutely every bit of blood out and left cloth looking like new

Originally Posted by auntmag
Try Oxyclean it works wonders.

The answer to removing fresh blood from pin pricks, etc., is your very own saliva. I had a young lady here fitting her bridal gown one day and she dragged her finger on my pins and bled on the bodice. Quickly, I grabbed muslin and told her to 'spit' on it..we rubbed every trace of the blood away so the dress wouldn't have to be cleaned before the wedding. It's true! The same enzymes in both--but it has to be your own blood and your own saliva.

AprilG 10-17-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by MostlyMaja
yeah, I agree with the hydrogen peroxide. It gets rid of rust stains too.

That's great to hear. I have Great-Grandma's hand sewn quilt and it has rust spots all over it. Thank you.

linhawk 10-17-2011 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO
peroxide applied with a qtip.

Yes, peroxide on a q tip, but I would test a very small area on the back..

mamabear229 10-17-2011 05:26 AM

yep, Doctor told me about use that. works great.

pstrwife 10-17-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
We are currently in N.C. And visited a relative who had possession of a lot of stuff that has been passed down from deceased relatives. She was given two things of imense value to her. One was the large family Bible, from the 1900's and the other item is a quilt sewn by her great grandmother. The quilt is of the flying geese pattern in blue against a white background. Within that pattern is the name of the woman, her great grandmother, and her husband, her great grandfather, and the date 1930. The quilt is in pretty good shape, with one exception. In the very center is what appears to be a small spot of blood which has penetated through to the back side. I will post a picture of the quilt upon our return home. Needless today, my wife is absolutely thrilled. I am wondering if there are any good ideas for the removal of the blood spot, or whatever it is. I have had good luck removing blood spots from cloth with "zout" and other oxygenated cleaners, but I don't want to completely wash this quilt due to the age and importance of the quilt. Any ideas?
John

Before you try anything else (IMHO) ( I know it sounds wierd) I would try to spitting on it. Your wife should do it because it is from her family. There is something about the enzymes in the saliva and blood. She may have to do it alot, though. I have tried it on my quilts. And it works. I would hate to try chemicals on such old fabric. It wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck

Baloonatic 10-17-2011 05:48 AM

Try saliva, your wife's might work best as the blood was probably her relative's. Please post a pic?

Passionate Quilter 10-17-2011 06:34 AM

I am in agreement as I just removed blood from my carpet with Peroxide and it removed it beautifully and did not harm or bleach the rest of the carpet. Good luck, anxious to see the quilt, I love family memorabilia.

grannypat7925 10-17-2011 07:06 AM

I have spotted with hydrogen peroxide and it just seems to 'eat' the blood up. It won't hurt it, so worth a try.