Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My year of living dangerously (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-year-living-dangerously-t224222.html)

MargeD 06-23-2013 09:38 AM

I'm retired, though not my choice- got laid off at the same time my husband became disabled. Fortunately, (although my husband things unfortunately) I had accumulated a good sized stash from when I was working full-time. Since we are both now on SS with limited resources I'm glad I have that stash - I just made a twin-sized quilt for our DGD entirely from my stash, plus other quilts and quilted items. Quilting is my sanity for being with my DH 24/7. Have you thought about a crazy quilt or a quilt made entirely made of your scraps? I would stretch your comfort zone whenever possible.

Latrinka 06-23-2013 11:05 AM

Happy retirement, have fun with all of it!

quilting in my60s 06-23-2013 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Furball (Post 6135898)
Ok, that's an exaggeration. I just retired and decided that this year I need to expand my quilting horizons.

Until last year I was a once a decade quilter -- making a quilt a decade since the 60s and assorted paper pieced miniatures. Last year in making a quilt I decided I needed to learn FMQ so I could do more than STID. Since then I have quilted 35 baby quilts for charity for practice. Most of those were quite simple so I could concentrate on the quilting.

Now that I have retired I want to work on my piecing and learn other scary things. So far my plans include:
  • Fuzed applique
  • Needle turn applique -- taking a class next week. I am terrified of all hand work.
  • Ohmigosh quilt -- work on piecing accuracy but also I just love little blocks
  • 60 degree triangle quilt ( http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2011/04/chopsticks.html).
  • Pinwheels- points, points, points
What other patterns/skills do you suggest I put on my agenda that will help me learn?

How about going on Missouri Star quilt company you tube's site to get some techniques explained and also some easy projects to do?

Nammie to 7 06-23-2013 08:14 PM

You will love retirement! I've enjoyed every minute of it! I want to learn EQ7, do a Dear Jane quilt, and all 3 Baltimore Album quilts that I have collected fabric for!! STILL not enough time to do it all - but at least I have a grin on my face most of the time.

Pepita 06-23-2013 09:40 PM

I am with AliKat, join a quilt guild. Your opportunity to try something new will soar. You will find new techinques, good friends, and a whole lot of fun. The classes are usually with big name teachers, and are really inexpensive compared to classes held by the famous teachers, or quilt festival. Festival classes run about $150 a day, while an all day class at the guild usually is under $50 (it depends on your guild). A complaint has been all the UFO's, but honestly, you can finish anything you like, and may have a pattern for a whole quilt to boot. I think it's ok to have UFO's, you usually finish things you like, and the ones you didn't are learning exercises.

Sandi 06-24-2013 02:05 PM

I don't think you should be so afraid of needle turn applique. It's very relaxing and if you are starting new, use a heart shape for a starter. I took a class with a patient and good teacher to learn but you don't have to do that although I think it is the best way to learn. You tube has great videos and you can look at them for starters.
Have fun and enjoy the process as well as the outcome, either way or both!

Furball 06-24-2013 03:04 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I've put them all on my list.

This board is amazing. I can't believe all I have learned from reading it this past year. I get inspiration, practical tips, links to tutorials and videos, links to sources for materials, encouragement, and more inspiration. A year ago I was casting about trying to figure out how I could quilt my own quilt with an edge to edge pattern on my DSW. I stumbled on a thread on this board and I was hooked.

Alikat and pepita - I joined a guild last year. My favorite parts are show and tell and the retreat. In the spirit if stretching myself I have volunteered to be the treasurer this year.

Racerh - your 3D quilts were already on my bucket list. :)

Francis yuhas -- I do like the idea of choosing a skill to work on each year. Last year was FMQ. This year was going to be piecing accuracy but if I like applique I might change my mind.

Quilting in my60s -- I've done one quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Company and your post is a great reminder to do more

Thanks to all