Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mysterious part of my stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mysterious-part-my-stash-t271087.html)

IBQUILTIN 10-16-2015 10:41 AM

Browns are beautiful paired with Teal, Turquise, Pink, Purple, and especially Orange at this time of year. I found I had 44 different browns in my stash and was sure surprised, because, like you, I didn't think I used them much.

MadQuilter 10-16-2015 10:46 AM

With me it is more of what I DON'T have. Recently I stocked up on purples and browns (HA! you and I should have talked, huh?) There are also hardly any florals or big prints. That's OK - I am making it work.

My path into stash management is to cut some of my scraps into 8"x1 1/2" strips for a mitered log cabin. It is so much fun to see what I have in my scrap bag. It's like visiting old friends.

Stitchit123 10-16-2015 10:55 AM

For me it was all the black I found in my stash that I don't recall buying. I must have had something in mind for them ? I prefer the browns for a back drop for the bright colors.

gramajo 10-16-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 7345654)
Well, yes I did and while I was sorting through it I found some really ugly fabric that I hope I was not responsible for buying. LOL

My DD bought some really ugly fabric. She used it for a stack n whack which turned out very pretty. You'd never have guessed the original fabric was so ugly.

coopah 10-16-2015 04:05 PM

Browns...1980s. With blues. For your questions: I have one quilt top that will never get quilted, because it's more than ugly. I like most of my stash. If there's anything I don't like, it goes to the guild 'give away' table.

IAmCatOwned 10-16-2015 04:58 PM

I used some of that unwanted stash on backs, but otherwise, gave away or sold everything I didn't love. I have one piece I do love, but it doesn't go with anything. It is earmarked for the next random scrap quilt.

quiltingshorttimer 10-16-2015 06:30 PM

seems I never have browns and I do have one pattern torn out of a magazine that used brown as the background and scrappy in the blocks--loved it and someday plan to make it. My guild has a "garage sale" to help pay for programs and classes coming up--I really need to go through my stash and do some de-stashing--but dang, I really hate to get rid of fabric--what if I need it sometime!?

jmoore 10-17-2015 06:27 AM

I fall into the same category as Betty62 posted, I also have some ugly fabric that showed up in my stash and I can't imagine that I could have purchased it. I also believe that some of my older, less desirable pieces were collected when I first started quilting and didn't realize that quality really makes a difference both in colors and design. I am a much bigger fan of LQS fabric than big box stores for my quilts.

RedGarnet222 10-17-2015 08:56 AM

Brown is a neutral. I love fall colors and so I buy lots of browns to go with them. I love them with the turquoise, peach and beige too.

I also have fabrics that I wonder what I was thinking when I bought it. I am trying to eliminate it from my stash. But, it is very hard to let go of perfectly good fabric.